Safety recalls, notices, and testing for child car seats
From Transport Canada
You can search here for recalls, notices, and research or testing related to the safety of child car seats and booster seats. You will also find regulations for the manufacture and sale of child car seats.
If you believe your child car seat has an unreported defect related to safety, you can file a complaint using the link on this page.
On this page
- Recalls database
- Filing safety-related defect complaints
- Safety notices
- Safety testing and research
- Regulations affecting child car seats and booster seats
- Contact us for more child car safety information
Child car seat and booster seat recalls are listed – along with vehicle and tire recalls – in the Motor Vehicle Safety Recalls Database. You will need to note the manufacturer and model of your seat to search the database.
Filing safety-related defect complaints
To find out what is considered to be a safety-related defect, read about the defect complaint form.
To report a safety-related defect with a car seat or booster seat:
- call 1-800-333-0510 (toll-free in Canada), or
- complete an online public defect complaint form.
Transport Canada publishes two kinds of notices about car seats and booster seats. These notices will tell you: if there is a problem with your seat; what you need to do to have your seat fixed; or will tell you about safe consumer use:
- A Public Notice is published to inform the public when products do not comply with regulations or have a defect.
- A Consumer Information Notice is published to inform the public when there is a general problem with a product that does not relate to regulations, or to a defect. Some notices warn consumers about unsafe practises with child car seats.
These are the most recently published Public or Consumer Information Notices:
- Britax Infant Car Seats – Chest Clip Replacement – Public Notice – June 28 2017
- Graco My Ride 65 Car Seat - Non-Compliance with Webbing Requirements – Public Notice – May 25, 2017
- Diono Cambria, Hip & Jet Booster Seats - Non-Compliance with Flammability Requirements – Public Notice – May 17, 2017
- Clek Foonf Convertible Car Seat – Non-compliance to Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards – Public Notice – February 3, 2017
- Orbit Baby G3 Infant Car Seat – Non-compliance to Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards – Public Notice – January 27, 2017
- Reminder: It's Important to Properly Install Child Car Seats – Consumer Information Notice – November 8, 2016
- Ferrari Befix High Back Booster Seats – Shoulder Belt Guide Routing Instruction Revisions - Consumer Notice - November 15, 2016
- Evenflo Evolve 3-in-1 Combination Seats – Replacement of the Harness Adjustment Button – Public Notice – September 26, 2016
- RECARO Performance Ride Convertible Car Seat – Non-compliance to Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards – Public Notice – September 23, 2016
- KidsEmbrace Friendship Series Combination Booster – Lower Connector System Fitment – Public Notice – August 5, 2016
- Diono Booster Seat (Little Tikes Brand) – Non-Compliance to Quasi-Static Compression Test – Public Notice – July 27, 2016
- Graco TurboBooster Booster Seats – Revised Instruction Manual – Public Notice – June 10, 2016
- Evenflo Symphony, Snugli All-in-One, Momentum, SureRide and Titan 65 – Replacement of the Central Front Adjuster Retaining Screw – Consumer Information Notice – April 21, 2016
- Canadian Tire Apramo and Kukuxumusu Booster Seats – Non Compliance with Stiffness and Flammability requirements - Public Notice – January 22, 2016
- Britax B-Safe 35 Infant Car Seats – Carry Handle Reinforcement – Public Notice – January 21, 2016
- KidsEmbrace Cinderella Combination Booster – Incorrect Minimum Weight on Booster Label – Public Notice – January 4, 2016
- RECARO Performance RIDE – Missing Date of Manufacture – Public notice – November 25, 2015
- Sparco No-Back Booster Seat - Non-Compliance with Flammability Requirements – Public notice – October 30, 2015
- Diono Cambria Booster Seat - Non-Compliance with Flammability Requirements – Public notice – October 29, 2015
- Britax ClickTight Convertibles – Harness Adjuster Button Recall – Public notice – August 13, 2015
- Evenflo Snugli & Embrace 35 – Incorrect Handle Position on Labelling – Public notice – August 12, 2015
- Graco Snugride 22 Classic Connect – Non-compliance to Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards – Public notice – May 14, 2015
- Learning Curve recalls VIA I470C model child restraints with various brand names – Public notice – December 19, 2014
Safety testing and research
Transport Canada does not rate, endorse, or approve car seats and booster seats.
Transport Canada conducts audits and testing to ensure regulations and standards are being followed by manufacturers. Transport Canada investigates testing failures, inspection failures, and public complaints about safety defects.
Transport Canada also conducts testing and research into how well car seats and booster seats protect children in accidents, and whether consumers are following safe practises.
To read results of research and testing or view test videos related to child car seats, see:
- Research Testing – Child Protection Crash Research
- rear-facing seats, forward-facing seats, and booster seats
- Factsheet on Child seats on School Buses
- Usability Study of the Universal Anchorage System for Child Restraints in School Buses and Passenger Vehicles (2007)
To find out more about how testing is done, see Child car seat compliance testing.
Regulations affecting car seats and booster seats
Transport Canada develops and enforces the following regulations under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act:
Health Canada develops and enforces the following regulations under the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act:
While Transport Canada regulates the manufacture of child car seats and booster seats, Health Canada regulates the importation, advertisement and sale of seats.
Provincial and territorial governments regulate and enforce the use of child car seats by the public.
Contact us for more child car safety information
Motor Vehicle Safety
330 Sparks Street
- 613-998-8616 (Ottawa area)