Apply for RSIP-ITR funding
Guides and help
Related services and information
From Transport Canada
The call for proposals for Infrastructure, Technology and Research (ITR) projects starting in 2018-19 is now closed.
We are currently accepting applications for ITR projects starting in 2019-2020. The deadline for applications is August 1, 2018.
The ITR Component of the Rail Safety Improvement Program (RSIP) funds rail safety improvements:
- along rail lines
- on rail property under federal and provincial jurisdiction
Funding is also available for researching, testing and developing technology to enhance the safety of rail line infrastructure.
Eligibility for funding
Eligible recipients include:
- provinces, territories, municipalities, and local governments
- road and transit authorities
- Crown Corporations
- for-profit and not-for-profit organizations
- indigenous groups, communities and organizations
Your project is eligible for this funding if it aims to:
- address rail line safety issues
- reduce the number of injuries and deaths from accidents along rail lines and on rail property
For example, we will consider these types of projects:
safety improvements on rail property and along rail lines, including:
- replacing incandescent lights with light-emitting diodes (LEDs)
- installing flashing lights, bells, and/or gates
- separating railway crossing grades
use of innovative technologies, including:
- acoustic train sensors
- positive train control technologies
- wheel-impact load detectors
- kinetic energy captures
- onboard data recorders, including wireless status recorders for active warning systems
- communications protocols (for example, WiFi)
- connected Rail
- detection technologies:
research related to:
- restricting pedestrian access
- blocked crossings
- closures of crossings
For more examples, see the Applicant's Guide.
Funding is available as follows:
- $12 million in 2016-17
- $20 million in 2017-18
- $20 million in 2018-19
For grade crossing closures, the maximum grants are:
- $25,000 for closing a public crossing
- $6,000 for closing a private crossing
Depending on the nature of your project, grants and contributions are available on an annual or multi-year basis.
What you need to know before you start
- Your application must be complete, accurate, and comprehensive.
- Read the Applicant's Guide in full before you apply.
How to apply
To apply for ITR funding:
Create your application using the application form that best matches your project as described in the Applicant's Guide.
Submit your application electronically or by mail.
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rail Safety Improvement Program (RSIP) – Infrastructure, Technology and Research (ITR) Component
330 Sparks Street, Place de Ville – Tower C (AHS)
We will confirm receipt of all application packages.
- Date modified: