Appendix D - Sample Engineering Procedures Manual
Appendix D: Letter of Authorization
Civil Aviation / Aviation civile
Aircraft Certification Branch / Certification des aéronefs
Delegations & Quality Division / Délégations et Qualité
330 Sparks St., 3rd. floor
Ottawa, ON K1A 0N8
Your file Votre référence
Our file Notre référence
January 10, 1999
Mr. Robert Smythe
Pacifica Aerospace Corporation
2853 Walking Road
Dear Mr. Smythe:SUBJECT: Letter of Authorization - Design Approval Representative (DAR) #777 REFERENCE: Letter of Application from Pacifica Aerospace Corporation, File BLT 23633, of August 12, 1998, requesting delegation for Mr. R. Smythe, Manager, Avionics.
Transport Canada is pleased to confirm that the application, which was made on your behalf by Pacifica Aerospace Corporation (PAC), for your appointment as a Design Approval Representative (DAR) has been reviewed against Canadian Airworthiness Manual (AWM) Chapter 505C. The standards specified in AWM Chapter 505C have been satisfied based on your application and supporting submission, and our familiarity with your technical and regulatory knowledge acquired through association with you on recent Supplemental Type Certification programs.
Please note that all references made in this letter to an Engineering Procedures Manual (EPM) are in respect of your EPM, Document No. PM 1242A, Revision 0, dated January 8, 1999, that is currently in force at the time of this appointment.
Therefore, pursuant to section 4.3(1) of the Aeronautics Act you are authorized to perform the functions of a DAR for the Transport Canada Aircraft Certification Branch on behalf of the Minister by making findings of compliance with the appropriate Transport Canada Airworthiness Regulations and Standards or TCCA specified equivalent, that are within the scope of your functional specialty and delegated function defined in Appendix A of this letter and by the following:DAR Functional Specialty Specialty Function for Structures (Loads and Airframe Stress), as defined in your EPM. Delegated Functions Make a finding of compliance, or recommendation, for the Requirements/Standards defined for the Structures specialty Function in your EPM; Provide a statement of compliance, or recommendation, to the Minister for the issuance of a Supplemental Type Certificate, Limited Supplemental Type Certificate or Repair Design Certificate using a TCCA AE-100 form or equivalent; and Issue Limited Supplemental Type Certificate and Repair Design Certificate. Applicable to those aeronautical products that are certified to CAR Part V, Subpart 25, or equivalent, for Transport Category Aeroplanes.
Your appointment is effective January 13, 1999 and is in force while you are in the employ of Pacifica Aerospace Corporation in the position of Manager, Avionics, and until the conditions of AWM subsection 505.225 are met. When exercising this delegated authority you will record your designation number as DAR #777 in conjunction with your signature on TCCA AE-100 Forms, or equivalent, and AWM Chapter 513 certificates that you issue. The EPM in force at the time of this appointment, or later approved revision, and this letter will define your privileges and limitations and will govern all the procedures that you will use when exercising this delegated authority. Where a specific compliance program and level of delegation has been established, your delegated authority is limited to those items that are identified in the compliance program.
I encourage your close and frequent contact with TCCA specialists regarding any questions you may have with respect to technical matters, delegate procedures, or responsibilities. As a delegate you remain responsible for maintaining a thorough working knowledge of the applicable Canadian Airworthiness and Operational Regulations, and Standards as stated in AWM subsection 505.203(b). Additionally AWM subsection 505.217(e) identifies that you must have access to legislation, standards, advisories and related literature (Transport Canada staff instructions, policy letters, and Airworthiness notices) appropriate to your delegation.
Please note that your scope of delegation defined in this letter and Appendix "A" forms part of your overall EPM and this letter should be incorporated into your EPM as Appendix D. There is no requirement for further approval of the EPM on incorporation of this addition. As a DAR it is your responsibility to ensure that you retain this letter of authorization and that you understand the extent of this authorization and the limitations of this authority.
Mr. Fred Wright, Regional Manager, Aircraft Certification, Prairie and Northern Region is available for any specialist consultation with respect to this delegation at (780) 123-1267. Would you please advise TCCA by signing in the space below that you understand and accept the responsibilities and limitations associated with this delegation of authority. Please return a signed copy of this letter to Transport Canada at the above address.
Director, Aircraft Certification
for the Minister of Transport
DAR Signature: _______________________ Date: __________________
Attachment - Appendix "A"
Appendix 'A' to TCCA letter
dated January 10, 1999
Mr. Robert Smythe, Manager, Avionics
Pacifica Aerospace Corporation
Specialty Function - Structures (Loads and Airframe Stress)
- Make a finding of compliance, or recommend for approval as directed by a compliance program, for engineering drawings, data, reports and tests, including test witnessing, which establish design compliance with the Canadian Airworthiness Manual (AWM) Chapter 525, or TCCA specified equivalent Airworthiness Standards identified in your EPM, and corresponding to the Specialty Function of Structures (Loads and Airframe Stress); and
- Provide a statement of compliance, or recommendation, to the Minister for the issuance of a Supplemental Type Certificate, Limited Supplemental Type Certificate, or Repair Design Certificate using a TCCA AE-100 form or equivalent, for your Specialty Function; and
- Issue Limited Supplemental Type Certificate and Repair Design Certificate for your Specialty Function.
- The scope of delegation is applicable to those aeronautical products that are certified to CAR Part V, Subpart 25, or equivalent, for Transport Category Aeroplanes;
- Where a specific compliance program and level of delegation has been established, your delegated authority is limited to those items that are identified in the compliance program;
- Advise TCCA when the exercise of this delegation requires a system safety assessment. AWM section 525.1309 is not delegated for essential and critical systems;
- Advise TCCA when a revision to an Airplane Flight Manual (AFM), AFM Supplement, or the Airworthiness Limitation section of a Maintenance Manual is required. TCCA Engineering limitations in the Maintenance Manual are not delegated;
- Recommend a course of action to TCCA when action is deemed necessary as a result of fulfilling delegated obligations. Any proposed change that has a direct effect on the performance of authorized functions shall be subject to approval by the Minster prior to implementation; and
- Airworthiness Requirements and/or Standards introduced subsequent to a delegates appointment shall be reviewed with TCCA to assess their applicability to the delegate's scope of delegation. A new authorization may be required.
A - 1
- Date modified: