Apply for an aviation document booklet
From Transport Canada
The aviation document booklet holds an aviation professional’s permits, licences and medical certificates. You do not need to pay a fee to get this booklet.
Who must apply
Every pilot, flight engineer and air traffic controller must have an aviation document booklet.
What you need to know before you start
Before you apply, you will need a passport-style photograph of yourself.
- The photo must have been taken by a professional photographer no more than 12 months before the date you apply. The name and address of the studio must be stamped or handwritten on the back.
- The photo must be clear and cannot have been changed in any way.
- The photo must measure 50 mm x 70 mm. The image of your face must be between 31 mm and 36 mm long.
How to apply
To apply for your aviation document booklet:
- Print the Application for an Aviation Document Booklet.
- Fill out and sign Part A of the application.
- Ask a verifier to fill out and sign Part B and verify that your photograph is accurate.
- A verifier is someone other than you who confirms your identity and verifies that the photo is truly of you.
- A variety of individuals, such as the following, may be a verifier:
- a Transport Canada Civil Aviation employee
- a person delegated by the Minister of Transport to perform a civil aviation function, including a flight school instructor, a pilot examiner, an authorized examination invigilator, or a civil aviation medical examiner
- a professional or official, including a lawyer, notary public, dentist, doctor, police officer, or bank signing officer
- Submit your application and photograph to your most convenient Transport Canada Civil Aviation regional office.
After you receive your booklet
When you get your booklet in the mail, review it for accuracy and sign it.
- Ensure that all information about your permits, licences and medical certificates is accurate.
- Ensure the photograph is the same one you submitted.
- Sign at the bottom of page two of the booklet.
- Date modified: