General Aviation Policy Letters
Air Traffic Controllers Licensing
To define roles and responsibilities for the development of Regulations and Standards for the training, licensing and proficiency of air traffic controllers.
A licence application submitted in the manner and form specified by the Minister is required in order to provide the applicant with an air traffic controller (ATC) licence or an endorsement to the applicant's air traffic controller licence. With the commercialization of Air Navigation Services (ANS), the responsibility for the regulations governing the issuance or endorsement of air traffic controller licences was transferred from the Personnel Licensing Division (General Aviation) to the Chief, Air Traffic Services (ATS) Standards Division. This also included the authority and responsibility to issue Letters of Authority for the issuance of provisional air traffic control licences and/or endorsements.
The ATS Standards Division is responsible for all activities associated with Personnel Licensing and Training Standards governing Air Traffic Controller Licences and Ratings.
This policy applies to the staff of the ATS Standards Division in Headquarters and to the Regional Air Navigation Services and Airspace ATC Specialists who have responsibilities with regard to licensing and proficiency of air traffic controllers. The elements of the proficiency check are found in NAV CANADA's ATSAMM - Air Traffic Services Administration and Management Manual. CAR 402.05 requires the successful completion of a proficiency check within the preceding 12 months. The validity period of the proficiency check is calculated from the first day of the month following the date of the proficiency check.
- Applications as Authorized Persons from ANS providers are received by the Chief ATS Standards. Upon confirmation and verification of the application, the Chief, ATS Standards, issues a Letter of Authority to the applicant with a copy to the Chief, Personnel Licensing.
- Authorized Persons at ATC units certify that applicants undergoing operational ATC training at that location meet all requirements of CARs Part IV and subsequently issue a provisional air traffic control licence to the applicant in accordance with CARs 402.06(1)(a). In the case of licenced air traffic controllers, the authorized person issues a provisional rating for the operational location in accordance with CARs 402.06(1)(b).
- Authorized persons submit, on behalf of the applicant, applications for air traffic control licences and ratings (26-0145) with all relevant documentation, to the Regional Air Navigation Services and Airspace ATC specialist.
- The Regional Air Navigation Services and Airspace ATC specialist reviews and verifies the applications for air traffic control licences. The Regional Air Navigation Services and Airspace ATC specialist forwards the application to the Regional Manager, General Aviation for licence issuance on behalf of the Chief, ATS Standards.
- The development and review of regulations and standards governing the issuance and endorsement of air traffic control licences.
- The receipt and review of applications for appointment as an Authorized Person by employees of an ANS provider.
- The issuance of letters of appointment as an Authorized Person in accordance with the procedures laid out in Chapter 3 of the Personnel Licensing Procedures Manual (TP 2943).
- The provision of accurate data to the Chief, Personnel Licensing for the maintenance of the Distributed Air Personnel Licensing System (DAPLS).
- The overseeing of the procedures related to the coordination of activities pertaining to air traffic control licences and ratings between Personnel Licensing, the Regional Manager General Aviation and Regional ANS&A personnel.
- The verification of compliance by ANS providers with CARs 402 and Standards 422, during audits and/or inspections.
- The verification of compliance with all relevant regulations and standards for proficiency checks (CARs 402.01 and 402.05) for licence holders during audits and inspections.
- The review and verification of applications for air traffic control licences and ratings on behalf of the Chief, ATS Standards.
- The verification of compliance by ANS providers with CARs 402 and Standards 422, during inspections.
- The verification of compliance with all relevant regulations and standards for proficiency checks (CARS 402.01 and 402.05) for licence holders during inspections.
- The Aeronautics Act
- The Chicago Convention on International Civil Aviation, Annex 11 and related International Civil Aviation Authority (ICAO) documents
- Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) Parts IV
- Ministerial delegation of Authority (DOA) No. 150346 Schedules A 5, I-1 to I-4 inclusive
- TP 8606 - Inspection and Audit Manual
- Civil Aviation Air Navigation and Airspace Branch - Inspection and Audit. Functional area Control Manual
- TP 2943 - Personnel Licensing Procedures Manual
Chief, Air Traffic Services Standards
Telephone: (613) 991-9962
Facsimile: (613) 998-7416
Date for Next Review
This policy is to be reviewed by April 2004.
- Date modified: