Advisory Circular (AC) No. 803-001
Transport Canada Publication TP308/GPH209 - Change 7.0 Criteria for the Development of Instrument Procedures
|Issuing Office:||Standards||AC No.:||803-001|
|File No.:||Z 5000-34||Issue No.:||07|
|RDIMS No.:||12513116-V1||Effective Date:||2017-01-30|
Table of contents
- 1.0 Introduction
- 2.0 References and Requirements
- 3.0 Background
- 4.0 Information Changes in TP308/GPH209 Change 7.0
- 5.0 Requirements
- 6.0 Acquisition
- 7.0 Information Management
- 8.0 Document History
- 9.0 Contact Office
- This Advisory Circular (AC) is provided for information and guidance purposes. It describes an example of an acceptable means, but not the only means, of demonstrating compliance with regulations and standards. This AC on its own does not change, create, amend or permit deviations from regulatory requirements, nor does it establish minimum standards.
- The purpose of this AC is to announce the implementation of a change to the Criteria for the Development of Instrument Procedures (TP308/GPH209).
- This document is applicable to all Transport Canada Civil Aviation (TCCA) employees and to individuals or organizations when they are exercising privileges granted to them under an External Ministerial Delegation of Authority. This information is also available to the aviation industry for information purposes.
1.3 Description of Changes
- Issue 07 of this AC, introduces TP308/GPH209 Change 7.0.
- TP308/GPH209 Change 7.0 is a revision of the document with incorporation of FAA Order 8260.58 and a partial incorporation of FAA Order 8260.42B.
2.0 References and Requirements
2.1 Reference Documents
- It is intended that the following reference materials be used in conjunction with this document:
- Aeronautics Act (R.S., 1985, c.A-2); and
- Part VIII Subpart 03 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) — Aeronautical Information Services.
2.2 Cancelled Documents
- Advisory Circular (AC) 803-001, Issue 06.
- By default, it is understood that the publication of a new issue of a document automatically renders any earlier issues of the same document null and void.
2.3 Definitions and Abbreviations
- The following abbreviations are used in this document:
- AC: Advisory Circular;
- CAR: Canadian Aviation Regulations;
- FAA: Federal Aviation Administration;
- PBN: Performance Based Navigation;
- TCCA: Transport Canada Civil Aviation; and
- FTP: File Transfer Protocol.
- Subsection 803.02(a) of the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) states that no person shall publish or submit for publishing in the Canada Air Pilot an instrument procedure unless the procedure has been developed in accordance with the standards and criteria specified in the manual entitled Criteria for the Development of Instrument Procedures (TP308/GPH209).
- Instrument Procedure Design Criteria contained in TP308/GPH209 are based on the United States Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Orders for the development of Instrument Procedure.
- The criteria contained in TP308/GPH209 is amended from time to time, in response to: changes introduced by FAA to their Orders, changes to technology, and recommendations received from stakeholders.
4.0 Information Changes in TP308/GPH209 Change 7.0
- Volume 1, General Criteria
- Chapter 1 – Administration – Amended;
- Chapter 2 – General Criteria– Amended;
- Chapter 3 – Take-Off and Landing Minima – Amended;
- Chapter 4 – On-Airport VOR (No FAF) – Amended;
- Chapter 5 – TACAN, VOR/DME AND VOR WITH FAF – Amended;
- Chapter 6 – NDB PROCEDURE ON-AIRPORT FACILITY, NO FAF – Amended;
- Chapter 7 – NDB WITH FAF – Amended;
- Chapter 8 – EMERGENCY VHF/UHF DF PROCEDURES – Amended;
- Chapter 9 – LOCALIZER – Amended;
- Chapter 10 – RADAR APPROACH PROCEDURES AND VECTORING CHARTS – No Change;
- Chapter 11 – RESERVED – No Change;
- Chapter 12 – DEPARTURE PROCEDURE – Amended;
- Chapter 13,14,15 and 16 – RESERVED – No Change;
- Chapter 17 – EN ROUTE CRITERIA – Amended;
- Chapter 18 – HOLDING CRITERIA – Amended;
- Alphabetical Index – Added.
- Volume 2, Performance Based Navigation (PBN) Construction
- Chapter 1 – PURPOSE – Added;
- Chapter 2 – BASIC CRITERIA INFORMATION – Added;
- Chapter 3 – GENERAL INFORMATION – Added;
- Chapter 4 – RNAV AND RNP DEPARTURE PROCEDUES – Added;
- Chapter 5 – TERMINAL ARRIVAL AREA (TAA) DESIGN – Added;
- Chapter 6 – STANDARD FOR REQUIRED NAVIGATION PERFORMANCE (RNP) APPROACH PROCEDURES WITH AUTHORIZATION REQUIRED (AR) – Added;
- Chapter 7 – AREA NAVIGATION (RNAV) – Added;
- Chapter 8 – STANDARD FOR HELICOPTER AREA NAVIGATION (RNAV) – Added;
- Appendix A. TERPS Standard Formulas for Geodetic Calculations – Added;
- Appendix B. Initial Climb Area (ICA) Concept – Added.
- Volume 3, Precision Approach (PA) Procedure Construction
- Chapter 1 – General Information – No Change;
- Chapter 2 – General Criteria – Amended;
- Chapter 3 – Precision Final and Missed Approach Segments – Amended;
- Appendix 1 – Vertically-Guided Approach Obstacle Assessment and CAT II/III ILS Requirements – Amended;
- Appendix 2, 3, 4 and 5 – No Change;
- Alphabetical Index – Added.
- Volume 4, Departure Procedure Construction – No Change
- Volume 5, Helicopter Instrument Procedure Construction
- Chapter 1. Helicopter Procedures– Amended;
- Chapter 2. Helicopter Global Positioning System (GPS) Non-Precision Approach Criteria – Deleted.
- Annex A – Glossary – Amended;
- Annex B – Minimum Vectoring Altitude – No Change;
- Annex C – Procedures – No Change;
- Annex D – Obstacle Limitation Surface (OLS) versus Obstacle Clearance Surfaces (OCS) – No Change;
- Annex E – Terrain and Obstacle Data (TOD) – No Change;
- Annex F – Precipitous Terrain Calculations – Added.
- Effective 05 January 2017 – all existing, new and revised criteria introduced in Change 7.0 is available for use.
- Effective 04 January 2018 – TP308/GPH209 Change 6.0 will no longer be authorized for the Development of Instrument Procedures.
- In adherence to Subsection 803.02(b) of the CARs, no person shall publish or submit for publishing an instrument procedure unless the procedure has been developed by a person who has successfully completed training which has been accepted by the Minister.
- TP308/GPH209 Volume 2, Chapter 8, Standards for Helicopter Area Navigation (RNAV) is subject to the requirements in Subsection 803.02(b) of the CARs.
- For all other sections previous training requirements apply and previously accepted training is valid.
- A Secure File Transfer Account (SFTA) has been created to share an electronic copy of TP308/GPH209 Change 7.0. The SFTA uses Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) and can be used by any device that is connected to the internet and supports HTTPS.
- To access the SFTA application, go to https://sfta-tfsa.tc.gc.ca/
- Username: ANS External
- Password: ANSexternal2014
- The “Change my password” option has been disabled.
- All files and folders on this account will automatically be deleted thirty (30) days after they have been uploaded. If TP308/GPH209 Change 7.0 is not available at the time of your visit, please contact either:
7.0 Information Management
- Not applicable.
8.0 Document History
- Advisory Circular (AC) 803-001, Issue 06, RDIMS 8741578 (E) and 8764353 (F) dated 2013-10-11 – Transport Canada Publication TP308/GPH209 Change 6.0 Criteria for Development of Instrument Procedures.
9.0 Contact Office
Civil Aviation, Standards
Chief of Flight Standards – Pierre Ruel (AARTA)
Suggestions for amendment to this document are invited and should be submitted via the following e-mail address: AARTinfodoc@tc.gc.ca
[original signed by]
Director, Standards Branch
- Date modified: