No drone zones

From Transport Canada

“No drone zones” are areas where it may be unsafe or illegal to fly your drone.

When you fly a drone for any reason you should generally not fly:

  • around airports and aerodromes
  • in busy, populated areas
  • in national parks
  • over border crossings

You can only fly your drone in these areas for specific purposes by getting permission from Transport Canada.

On this page

Areas that restrict drones

If you fly a recreational drone, you must follow the rules that help keep people, aircraft and property safe. You can get a quick overview of safety rules in this infographic.

If you fly where you are not allowed or break other rules, you could be fined up to $3,000.

Airports and aerodromes

Aerodromes include airports, heliports, seaplane bases or anywhere that aircraft take off and land.

If you are flying a drone for recreational use, it is illegal to fly closer than:

  • 5.5 km from aerodromes, and
  • 1.8 km from heliports or aerodromes used by helicopters only

If you are flying a drone for non-recreational use, you must get a Special Flight Operations Certificate in order to fly near an aerodrome.

The National Research Council has created an interactive map to help drone operators find sites away from aerodromes and built-up areas. The map is for your convenience only. Read the disclaimer before using it.

Cities and municipalities

The rules for using drones are the same across Canada, but provinces and municipalities may have created extra no drone zones. Contact your provincial or municipal office for more information.

National parks

National parks do not permit the use of recreational drones within park boundaries. A park superintendent may allow the use of non-recreational drones in some cases. If you want to fly a drone in a national park, contact Parks Canada first and also read about the use of drones at Parks Canada places.

Flying a drone outside Canada

Flying your drone across international borders is not allowed. Rules for drones are not the same in all countries. Therefore, an approval to operate in Canada is not valid in any other country. Always check a country’s aviation regulations before you fly in that country.

Order a “No drone zone” sign

“No drone zone” signs are available in various formats for airport, park and municipal authorities to post around the boundaries of their properties or events.

No Drone Zone sign
(PDF, 329 KB)

Contact Transport Canada’s Outreach and Creative Services Unit for more information.

Related links

Date modified: