Accident Synopses

Note: All aviation accidents are investigated by the Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB). Each occurrence is assigned a level, from 1 to 5, which indicates the depth of investigation. Class 5 investigations consist of data collection pertaining to occurrences that do not meet the criteria of classes 1 through 4, and will be recorded for possible safety analysis, statistical reporting, or archival purposes. The narratives below, which occurred between May 1 and July 31, 2006, are all "Class 5," and are unlikely to be followed by a TSB Final Report.

- On May 1, 2006, a Canadian-registered Robinson R44 Raven II helicopter, with the pilot and one passenger on board, was en route from Torrence, Calif., to Blenheim, Ont., when it crashed near Desert Center, Calif. The accident pilot had taken delivery of the new helicopter from the Robinson Helicopter Company factory in Torrance on the day of the accident. The pilot and passenger were fatally injured and the aircraft was destroyed. Preliminary reports suggest the tail boom had separated from the fuselage. The U.S. National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) is investigating (NTSB identification: LAX06FA156).
TSB File A06F0072.

- On May 4, 2006, a float-equipped Piper PA18-150 had a hard landing on Canim Lake, B.C., resulting in substantial damage to the aircraft. There were no injuries and the aircraft did not sink. At the time of the accident, the weather was clear with no wind. The lake surface condition was reported to be wave-free (glassy).
TSB File A06P0072.

- On May 6, 2006, a Piper PA-28-161 aircraft, flown by a rental pilot, was carrying out a crosswind landing on Runway 24 at Hamilton, Ont. (CYHM). During the flare, the aircraft drifted left and landed on the grass beside the runway. The aircraft then struck a hold short sign and was substantially damaged. There were no injuries.
TSB File A06O0109.

- On May 6, 2006, a privately-operated Piper PA-18 Super Cub was departing from a 900-ft-long beach on the west shore of Dillberry Lake, Alta., with the pilot and one passenger on board. The direction of takeoff was to the south. The aircraft became airborne after a longer-than-expected ground run, and a left turn was immediately initiated to avoid high trees at the end of the beach. Subsiding air and tailwind conditions were encountered during the turn, and the right wing struck a post. The aircraft veered to the right and descended into brush, and the main gear collapsed. The pilot and passenger were uninjured; however, the aircraft sustained substantial damage. The surface wind at the beginning of the take-off area was estimated to be southwest at 5 kt; the wind above the trees was estimated to be west at 25 to 30 kt.
TSB File A06W0060.

- On May 14, 2006, an advanced ultralight Rans S-9 Chaos was on final approach to the Glen Valley Airstrip (a practice area near Fort Langley, B.C.), when its main landing gear caught a power line. The aircraft somersaulted and landed in a ditch, right side up. The pilot suffered no injury except for a bruise from his shoulder harness, but the aircraft sustained substantial damage. The power line broke and started several ground fires.
TSB File A06P0084.

- On May 18, 2006, an M18A Dromader was applying herbicide to a field 25 NM northwest of Speedy Creek (Swift Current), Sask. The aircraft struck the terrain while manoeuvring to position for a spray run. The aircraft sustained substantial damage and the pilot sustained minor injuries. There was no post-impact fire.
TSB File A06C0069.

- On May 21, 2006, a Bell 206B helicopter was being ferried from Slave Lake, Alta., to Wabasca, Alta. While en route, the pilot encountered deteriorating weather and performed a precautionary landing. During touchdown, the main rotor blades struck a tree. When the weather improved, the helicopter was flown back to Slave Lake for maintenance to determine the extent of the damage. Subsequently, the operator reported that although the mast passed the torsion yield test, one main rotor blade had to be replaced and the other required repair. The drive train also needed to be overhauled, as per the manufacturers directions.
TSB File A06W0066

- On May 27, 2006, an amateur-built, amphibious Seawind 3000 aircraft was performing circuits on Lake St. Clair, approximately 15 NM northeast of Windsor, Ont. After a normal touchdown, the aircraft hit a wake created by a boat, which caused both sponsons to be torn from the wings. The aircraft did not flip over and it maintained its buoyancy. There were no injuries and the aircraft was towed safely to a nearby marina.
TSB File A06O0125.

- On May 29, 2006, a Canadian-registered Eurocopter AS 350 BA helicopter was returning VFR from Florida to Quebec. While on a leg between Camden, NJ, and Glen Falls, NY, during level cruise flight, the hydraulic system pump failed and the pilot attempted a landing in an open field near Goshen, NY. At about 30 ft AGL, the pilot lost control of the helicopter and landed heavily. At touchdown, the helicopter sustained substantial damage, but the two occupants were not injured. The NTSB is investigating. (NTSB identification: NYC06LA121).
TSB File A06F0084.

- On June 5, 2006, an ultralight Chinook II had just taken off from Runway 36 at La Sarre, Que., when the Rotax 277 engine shut down. The aircraft was at an altitude of about 200 ft AGL. The pilot made an emergency landing in a wooded area. The right wing struck a tree and the aircraft came to a stop. The pilot was able to evacuate. When medical assistance arrived, he was immediately transported to hospital. The aircraft did not catch fire, but it sustained significant damage.
TSB File A06Q0088.

- On June 5, 2006, a Cessna 172P, with a single pilot on board, was VFR from MacDonald Cartier Airport in Ottawa, Ont., to Mansonville, Que. When landing, the aircraft touched down too far along the 2 800-ft runway. The pilot was not able to stop the aircraft, and it ended up in a ravine at the end of the runway. The pilot was not injured. The aircraft’s propeller, engine cowl, and nose wheel were damaged.
TSB File A06Q0089.

- On June 7, 2006, a Bell 206L-3 helicopter was VFR from La Tuque, Que. to Val d’Or, Que. Nearly 30 min after takeoff, at a cruising altitude of 2 000 ft ASL, the pilot noticed fluctuating oil pressure in the Rolls Royce 250 C-30 engine. The pilot landed on marshy terrain. After checking the aircraft and consulting with a technician, the pilot restarted the engine and hovered; oil pressure was normal. The pilot then decided to head to the main road, about 1 km away. The oil pressure started to fluctuate again and the pilot heard an explosion. He made an autorotational landing. The pilot was not injured, but the aircraft sustained significant damage.
TSB File A06Q0091.

- On June 11, 2006, the pilot of a Cessna 170B landed at a private grass strip west of Bowden, Alta., to pick up passengers. Due to soft field conditions, the takeoff was conducted on a paved road adjacent to the strip. During the take-off roll, the pilot lost control, and the aircraft departed the road and entered the ditch. The aircraft sustained substantial damage to the gear and wings; however, there were no injuries to the pilot and three passengers. Gusting crosswind conditions existed, and trees beside the road resulted in fluctuating wind velocity during the take-off run.
TSB File A06W0082.

- On June 13, 2006, a Eurocopter AS 350 B2 helicopter was conducting a hover manoeuvre to land in a confined area to disembark an environmental survey crew. This was the fifth and final stop of the day at a touchdown area different than originally chosen. While backing up, the tail rotor struck an object and began to vibrate. The helicopter touched down on uneven ground and rolled onto its right-hand side. There were no injuries, but the helicopter was destroyed. The pilot turned on the emergency locator transmitter (ELT) and used a satellite telephone to notify the company. The company dispatched another helicopter to pick up the passengers and pilot.
TSB File A06P0104.

- On June 14, 2006, the pilot of a Piper J-3 Cub was landing in a grassy field when the drag of the main wheels in the long grass caused the aircraft to flip over, nose first. The pilot and passenger sustained minor injuries and the aircraft was substantially damaged.
TSB File A06Q0095.

- On June 17, 2006, a Eurocopter AS 350 B helicopter was slinging a net load of plywood on a 50-ft kevlar longline at about 35 kt, when the pilot felt an event and saw that the line had separated about midway. After landing, the pilot noted substantial damage to the right horizontal stabilizer and one main rotor blade, with evidence of contact with one tail rotor blade. Examination of the electronic swivel revealed it had seized. The line had separated in at least four places and one 9-ft section was not recovered. The swivel and line are to be examined by the TSB and the manufacturers.
TSB File A06P0109.

- On June 19, 2006, a Cessna 180H was taking off from Lac-à-la-Tortue, Que., for Lac à Beauce, Que., with two pilots on board. During takeoff, the right wing suddenly lifted and the aircraft tilted towards the left, causing the left wing to touch the water and the aircraft to flip over. The two pilots escaped unharmed, and were taken by boat to the shore of the lake. The aircraft sustained significant damage.
TSB File A06Q0097

- On June 24, 2006, a student pilot in a Cessna 172L was landing at the Cooking Lake, Alta., airport when the pilot encountered winds. Three attempts to land were made and on the final attempt, during the roll out, directional control was lost and the pilot attempted a go-around. The aircraft was headed toward some low brush at this time and the pilot tried to clear it by pitching up, which resulted in the aircraft stalling and nosing over into the brush. The pilot was uninjured, but the aircraft substantially damaged.
TSB File A06W0097.

- On June 30, 2006, a Sundance Balloons International SBA210 hot air balloon departed from Saskatoon, Sask., with a pilot and eight passengers on board. After a 1-hr sightseeing flight, the balloon was above farmland approximately 15 mi. southwest of the departure point. The pilot commenced a descent to land in a large, flat, grass-covered field. The balloon was traveling slowly and touched down softly on the grass. On touchdown, 1 or 2 in. of water began seeping into the bottom of the basket. The pilot applied the burner and the basket lifted out of the water and slid on the wet grass surface as it moved further down the field. The rectangular basket rotated slowly to an end-on aspect, then encountered an area of dry grass and ground. The pilot elected to land and he released air from the balloon envelope. As the envelope was deflating, the basket dragged and tipped up and slightly over. The burner frame came into contact with the ground and there was a short burst of flame from one of the burners. The pilot and three of the passengers went to hospital with burn or impact-related injuries. All four were released after treatment. The remaining five passengers were not injured. The burner frame was bent and required replacement. The remainder of the balloon was undamaged.
TSB File A06C0097.

- On July 1, 2006, a Bell 206L1 helicopter, with a pilot and two passengers on board, was participating in a Canada Day fly-by in Fort Simpson, N.W.T. While manoeuvring after the first pass, the helicopter contacted a disconnected power line that dead-ended on a power pole. The power line struck a VHF antenna and the advancing pitch link. A severe vertical vibration resulted and the pilot immediately set down in an adjacent baseball diamond. There were no injuries. Maintenance found the red pitch link destroyed, scratches on the mast, damage to the swash plate and small scratches on the red main rotor blade and associated grip. Maintenance planned to replace both pitch links, swash plate and mast.
TSB File A06W0108.

- On July 2, 2006, a Wakerjet Spider Paraglider was operating along the shore of Crescent Beach, N.S. The flight was uneventful until the onshore wind became gusty, which resulted in the aircraft drifting toward some power lines in the area. A turn away from the power lines was initiated at low altitude and the aircraft descended until it struck some rocks along the shoreline. The pilot was seriously injured.
TSB File A06A0069.

- On July 7, 2006, the pilot of a Nordic II was investigating a loss of engine power (Continental model 0-200), which had led to a precautionary landing the previous day. He disconnected the high tension lead from the upper spark plug in the left front cylinder (No. 4) and connected it to a backup spark plug in order to check the setting at the time of sparking. He asked his wife to hold the spark plug against the cylinder so that he could observe the spark while he turned the propeller by hand. The engine has two magnetos, and since he had not disconnected the leads from the other cylinders, or cut off the other magneto, the engine eventually started up. The pilot’s wife inadvertently moved her left arm forward and it intercepted the arc of the propeller. She was struck on the forearm and sustained a deep muscle laceration which kept her in hospital for several days.
TSB File A06Q0116.

- On July 17, 2006, a Eurocopter AS350 B-2 helicopter took off from a clearing about 35 NM northwest of Slave Lake, Alta., for a local flight. A 100-ft longline, which was attached to the aircraft, snagged briefly on trees and recoiled into the tail rotor. The pilot slowed the resulting yaw by reducing collective pitch, and landed the helicopter upright in the clearing. The pilot was uninjured and the helicopter sustained substantial damage to the tail section and skid gear.
TSB File A06W0115.

- On July 19, 2006, a Cessna A185F on floats was making a local flight. Soon after takeoff, one of the floats hit a passenger on a vessel that was on the lake. The injured passenger was hospitalized for three days. At the time of the accident, there was no wind and visibility was unlimited. The takeoff was from glassy water.
TSB File A06Q0128.

- On July 20, 2006, two Cessna 182 aircraft were moving on Taxiway Delta at the Baie Comeau, Que., airport, preparing to take off for a forest fire patrol. The pilot of the second Cessna was attending to the wind sleeve and did not notice that the first Cessna had stopped in front of him, prior to taking up its position on the runway. He was unable to stop in time and the two aircraft collided. The first aircraft sustained significant damage to the rudder and the lift. The second sustained damage to the propeller. No one was injured.
TSB File A06Q0127.

- On July 22, 2006, a Hughes 369D helicopter had toed-in to a hillside in the Bonnet Plume area, Y.T., to pick up two geologists. One passenger stepped onto the right skid and the other intended passenger, who was crouching on slightly sloping terrain to the right and front of the helicopter, stood up and was struck by the main rotor. The person who was struck sustained fatal injuries, but there were no injuries to the other passenger or the pilot. There was minor damage to the helicopter, which returned to its base camp about 6 NM from the site of the occurrence.
TSB File A06W0122.

Date modified: