Note: All reported aviation occurrences are assessed by the Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB). Each occurrence is assigned a class, from 1 to 5, which indicates the depth of investigation. A Class 5 consists of data collection pertaining to occurrences that do not meet the criteria of classes 1 through 4, and will be recorded for possible safety analysis, statistical reporting, or archival purposes. The narratives below, which occurred between May 1, 2009, and July 31, 2009, are all “Class 5,” and are unlikely to be followed by a TSB Final Report.

— On May 13,  2009, a Bell 206L-1 helicopter was conducting a training flight at the Lachute, Que., airport with an instructor and pilot on board. Following an autorotation with power recovery, the aircraft conducted a rough landing. The helicopter bounced, and the main rotor blades cut the tail-rotor drive shaft. After spinning, the aircraft landed on its skids. The two occupants were unhurt. The aircraft sustained considerable damage. TSB File A09Q0070.

— On May 14, 2009, a Cessna A185F equipped with amphibious floats was departing Runway 22, a grass-covered runway at Orillia, Ont. Shortly after takeoff, the aircraft experienced gusty wind conditions with possible wind shear. Control of the aircraft was lost, it impacted the grass runway with the left wing low, and cartwheeled. The aircraft came to rest approximately three-quarters of the way down the runway. The aircraft was substantially damaged and the pilot, the only occupant, received minor injuries. TSB File A09O0084.

— On May 14, 2009, a Glaser Dirks DG-808C powered glider took off from the Hope, B.C., airport, using its engine, for a local flight. When the aircraft was returning to the Hope airport from the west with a strong westerly wind, its engine was deployed but was not operating. The aircraft’s right wing tip struck trees about 1 NM west of the button of Runway 07, continued on a heading of approximately 090°, struck another stand of trees, then collided with a telephone pole. The pilot, the sole occupant, was fatally injured. The glider was substantially damaged. TSB File A09P0116.

— On May 17, 2009, a Rans S-6S Coyote II advanced ultralight was taking off from Runway 25 at King George Airpark, B.C., for a training flight with an instructor and student on board. The student was flying. During the take-off roll, the aircraft went over a bump in the turf runway and briefly became airborne. The student pulled back on the stick and the aircraft nosed up. The instructor was unable to overpower the student’s aft stick force. When the aircraft left ground effect, it stalled aerodynamically, the left wing dropped, and the aircraft struck the ground. The aircraft was destroyed. There was no fire. The student suffered minor injuries and the instructor was uninjured. TSB File A09P0128.

— On May 19, 2009, a Beechcraft 200 was on a flight to the Edmonton City Centre Airport, Alta. The aircraft was conducting the localizer/back course approach for Runway 16. When the runway became visible, full flaps were extended and power was reduced. The aircraft entered a low-power, high-drag situation during the last 200 ft of the descent, resulting in the activation of the ground proximity warning system (GPWS) aural warning regarding the descent rate. The subsequent hard landing resulted in substantial damage to the right propeller tips, right landing gear and right-wing root. There were no injuries to the two crew and four passengers. TSB File A09W0082.

— On May 21, 2009, the pilot of an AS-350B2 helicopter was landing on a snow-covered surface approximately 20 NM northeast of Kitimat, B.C., and lost visual reference. A landing skid dug into the snow and the helicopter rolled over. There were no injuries to the four occupants; however, the helicopter was substantially damaged. TSB File A09P0124.

— On May 29, 2009, a float-equipped, amateur-built Timber Wolf took off from Lac Morency, Que., for Lac en Coeur, Que. While turning during the initial climb, the pilot felt the rudder pedals shake. Since Lac en Coeur was close by, he decided to continue toward it. On final, the shaking decreased and the approach was completed without incident. Conditions were excellent, with a light wind of 5 mph, and light waves on the lake’s surface gave the pilot a good idea of the aircraft’s height. During the water landing, the aircraft nosed over. The deceleration was fast but not rough. The aircraft was equipped with shoulder harnesses, and even though they weren’t used, the aircraft’s occupants were unhurt. The aircraft sank but did not overturn. The pilot and passenger were able to evacuate the aircraft and were immediately rescued by local residents. Upon recovery of the aircraft, its two floats were tilted to the left. The front spacer bar was found torn from the left float, the front of which was completely smashed. The damage suggests that the sheet metal under this float might have been partially detached when the water landing was conducted and the pressure of the water entering the interior completely opened the front portion. In the week preceding the flight, the aircraft was positioned on an incline, with the left float resting on the wharf and the other on the water, in order to correct watertightness problems. This position, combined with strong storm winds, may have resulted in stress on the spacer bar’s left front attachment. Since the water rudders are connected to the rudder cables, any float instability would likely result in the rudder pedals shaking. TSB File A09Q0077.

— On June 1, 2009, the pilot of a J3C-65 Piper Cub had just started the engine (by hand) for a local recreational flight near Elkhorn, Man., and was climbing into the back seat (the normal position for solo flight) when the pilot’s foot inadvertently struck the throttle. The aircraft moved forward and the right wing struck a farm building, causing substantial damage to the wing and right landing gear. There were no injuries. TSB File A09C0128.

— On June 4, 2009, a Bell 206L helicopter with one pilot and three passengers on board was on a sightseeing flight approximately 84 NM southwest of Gander, N.L. The helicopter was landing beside a cabin when the tail rotor struck a tree. The aircraft landed hard and came to rest with the tail boom and main rotor blades detached. All four occupants received serious but non-life-threatening injuries. TSB File A09A0035.

— On June 5, 2009, a Stinson S-108 landed at the Rouyn-Noranda, Que., airport with crosswinds at 40° in relation to the landing runway and gusts from 15 to 29 kt. The aircraft’s tail spun to the side and the pilot countered the yawing motion, but the aircraft tipped forward. The propeller hit the ground, and the aircraft came back on its wheels. The aircraft left the runway under its own power with slight difficulty. No one was injured. TSB File A09Q0084.

— On June 6, 2009, the new owner of a Rans Courier S-7 ultralight was taxiing the aircraft on Sinkut Lake, B.C., with no intention of flight. The aircraft inadvertently became airborne and climbed to about 40 ft whereupon the engine (Rotax 582) stopped. The aircraft stalled, and the nose dropped and impacted the lake surface. The aircraft was destroyed. The pilot sustained minor injuries. TSB File A09P0145.

— On June 9, 2009, the pilot of a Beech 55 Baron had departed Calgary, Alta., for a planned round-robin flight of six local airports. During the first landing at Drumheller Muni, Alta., the landing gear was not extended, and the aircraft landed on the lower fuselage. The pilot was the sole occupant and was not injured, although the aircraft sustained substantial damage. TSB File A09W0097.

— On June 11, 2009, a Genesis XL advanced ultralight was taking off from Runway 31 at Duncan, B.C., for a local instructional flight. As the ultralight was lifting off, the right wing folded up and over to the left side. The ultralight remained on the ground, but veered to the left and came to a stop. The instructor and student were uninjured, but the aircraft was substantially damaged. An examination revealed that the right-wing lower strut bracket had broken. The fitting had been installed without washers, which caused a fatigue failure of the fitting. TSB File A09P0153.

— On June 13, 2009, a pilot was conducting a straight-in approach in a Piper PA-28R-200 to a private strip in the vicinity of Starbuck, Man. The landing gear was not selected down for landing and the aircraft touched down before the pilot recognized that the gear warning horn was sounding. The pilot usually flies a circuit and approach for landing. The pilot was not injured; however, the aircraft sustained substantial damage. TSB File A09C0085.

— On June 13, 2009, a Piper Aztec was doing circuits (touch-and-goes) on Runway 24 at the St. Catharines, Ont., airport. As take-off power was re-applied following the landing rollout, the landing gear handle was inadvertently raised and the nose gear collapsed, causing both propellers and the nose of the aircraft to strike the ground. The aircraft was substantially damaged; however, both occupants were uninjured. TSB File A09O0107.

— On June 16, 2009, a Lancair Legacy FG was departing Runway 13 at Regina, Sask. After liftoff, the canopy opened partially, the pilot lost control, and the aircraft landed hard near Taxiway A. The pilot sustained minor injuries and the aircraft was substantially damaged. The canopy had not been secured prior to departure. The manufacturer advises that an open canopy disrupts airflow over the tail. TSB File A09C0088.

— On June 25, 2009, a Eurocopter AS350D was on approach to land at Némiscau, Que., when the pilot manoeuvred to avoid striking birds. The tail rotor hit some tree branches. The aircraft landed normally. The aircraft was inspected, and only the tail rotor needed replacement. TSB File A09Q0101.

— On June 24, 2009, a Cessna 172N was taxiing to Runway 26 at the Kitchener/Waterloo, Ont., airport. The aircraft stopped at the displaced threshold as instructed by tower. Behind the Cessna 172 was a Wag-Aero Cuby taildragger, also taxiing to Runway 26. The pilot of the Cuby was steering the aircraft in S-turns to maintain forward vision. During one of the S-turns, the aircraft struck the stationary Cessna 172. The impact resulted in substantial damage to the two aircraft. There were no injuries to the occupants. TSB File A09O0124.

Poor forward visibility while taxiing in a tail-dragger will increase the risk of a collision.

Poor forward visibility while taxiing in a tail-dragger will increase the risk of a collision.

— On June 26, 2009, a Beechcraft A23 aircraft was taking off from the Alexandria, Ont., aerodrome with the pilot and three passengers. The aircraft did not become airborne, overran the end of the runway and came to a stop in a farm field. The aircraft was substantially damaged, but there were no injuries to the occupants.
No mechanical faults were reported. TSB File A09O0128.

— On June 28, 2009, an amateur-built CADI L-160 was conducting a flight between the Sherbrooke, Que., airport and Drummondville, Que. While the aircraft was in cruise flight approximately 10 NM from Sherbrooke, the pilot heard a thud and immediately noticed that the aircraft’s right wing had folded upward at the wing-strut attachment point. Because there was no safe area to land, the pilot decided to continue on to Drummondville, where the aircraft landed safely. TSB File A09Q0098.

— On June 29, 2009, a privately owned EUROPA XS amateur-built aircraft was doing circuits at the Kitchener/Waterloo, Ont., airport. During the crosswind turn after the second touch-and-go, the aircraft entered a very steep bank, followed by a near vertical descent. The aircraft impacted the ground and was destroyed by fire. The sole occupant was fatally injured. TSB File A09O0125.

— On July 3, 2009, the window of a Cessna 185 on floats opened during the take-off run from Lac Manouane, Que. The pilot attempted to shut the window during the take-off roll, but realized the aircraft had departed the intended take-off path, and chose to abort the takeoff. Upon reducing power, the aircraft nosed over and ended up on its back. The pilot evacuated the aircraft via the right passenger door and swam to shore. He was not injured and was rescued the next day when the aircraft became overdue. The aircraft was substantially damaged. TSB File A09Q0118.

— On July 11, 2009, an amateur-built Hummel Ultracruiser ultralight was on its second post-construction flight from Winters Aire Park, Alta., and had successfully completed two circuits. While on departure, at approximately 100 ft above ground level (AGL), the right wing failed at the wing root. The aircraft crashed onto the runway. The pilot, who was the sole occupant, was seriously injured. There was no post-impact fire. Four weeks before this incident, the left main landing gear had failed during taxi trials. TSB File A09W0126.

— On July 15, 2009, the pilot of a Cessna 337 took off from the Miramichi, N.B., airport bound for Valcartier, Que. The advisory service had notified the pilot that the last 1 200 ft of Runway 22, which is 3 100 ft in length, were closed with signage to that effect. The open part of the runway measured 1 900 ft. The pilot conducted a reconnaissance flight, attempted landing, and then pulled up. During landing, the aircraft landed long and entered the closed part of the runway. The aircraft came to a stop in a ditch. The pilot sustained serious injuries. TSB File A09Q0108.

— On July 15, 2009, a Eurocopter 350BA took off from pylon 648 for Némiscau, Que. During takeoff, the main rotor and tail rotor hit a pylon strut. The aircraft started turning to the right and tipped forward. It came to a stop on its right side, almost upside down. The pilot and passenger sustained minor injuries. TSB File A09Q0109.

— On July 16, 2009, a Cessna 172P was on a VFR flight from Tofino, B.C., to Victoria, B.C. During the flight down the west coast of Vancouver Island, the pilot encountered fog along the coast and diverted inland. In the vicinity of Cowichan Lake Village, B.C., the engine sputtered and lost power. The pilot transmitted a MAYDAY call on 121.5 MHz and made a forced landing on the highway, midway between Lake Cowichan Village and Youbou, B.C. While on short final for the road, the pilot saw power lines crossing the road and elected to go under them. The aircraft touched down hard, bounced, and the left wing hit a hydro pole. The aircraft went off the left side of the road, into a ditch, and nosed over. The aircraft was substantially damaged but the three occupants were uninjured. Although the ambient temperature was high, conditions were conducive to the formation of carburetor ice. When the aircraft was recovered, it was determined that both fuel tanks were dry. No evidence could be found of fuel draining out of the tanks (no smell of fuel or sign of fuel spilled on the ground). The aircraft had flown 2.7 hr since leaving Victoria with 30 U.S. gallons of fuel on board. TSB File A09P0201.

— On July 16, 2009, a de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver had departed the Cambridge Bay, Nun., water aerodrome for Surrey River, Nun. Upon turning out of Ferguson Lake, Nun., to follow the river, the flight immediately encountered thick fog. The pilot attempted to turn around and in the process struck terrain. The aircraft was substantially damaged, but the pilot only received minor injuries. TSB File A09W0131.

— On July 20, 2009, an Aerostar S-57A hot air balloon was on a sightseeing flight near Windsor, Ont., with a pilot and two passengers on board. When the balloon descended to land, a wind shift resulted in it being unable to land in the intended field. After the balloon touched down on an adjacent golf course, it continued to drift until the envelope was blown into a tree. There were no injuries; however, several panels of the balloon envelope were torn either by the initial penetration by tree branches or when attempting to free it from the trees. There was also some burn damage at the mouth of the envelope. TSB File A09O0144.

— On July 21, 2009, a Beech King Air 100 was on a visual approach to Runway 02 at the Edmonton International Airport, Alta., behind an arriving Boeing 737. The crew planned to remain above the approach path of the Boeing 737 and full flap was selected on the base leg. The landing gear was not lowered and the landing gear warning horn sounded during the flare. Power was applied to initiate a go-around; however, the right propeller contacted the runway, the nose of the aircraft pitched up, and the go-around was aborted. The aircraft touched down on the cargo pod, slid approximately 1 500 ft, and came to rest on the infield to the right of the runway. The aircraft sustained substantial damage. The seven occupants were uninjured. TSB File A09W0134.

— On July 31, 2009, a Glaser Dirks DG-500 dual-seat glider was being towed for flight at Rockton, Ont. When the aircraft was approximately 200 ft above ground level (AGL), the pilot in the forward seat was adjusting his position in the seat when he inadvertently struck the glider release mechanism. The glider released from the tow aircraft and the pilot turned the glider in an attempt to land at the airport. During the touchdown, the right wing tip struck the ground and the glider ground looped, resulting in substantial damage to the wing and tail structure. There were no injuries to the occupants. TSB File A09O0160.

Date modified: