Aviation Safety Letter 2/2003
VFR Communications Procedures at Uncontrolled Aerodromes With MF and ATF Areas
The following procedures shall be followed by pilots of radio-equipped aircraft at uncontrolled aerodromes within an MF area and should also be followed by pilots at aerodromes with ATFs:
(The procedures below have been summarized. Read them in full in A.I.P. Canada RAC 4.5.7.)
Operations on Manoeuvring Area:
- Report intentions and maintain a listening watch.
- Report intentions before moving onto the runway;
- Ascertain visually and by radio that no conflict is likely during takeoff; and
- Report departing from the aerodrome traffic circuit and monitor the designated frequency until well clear of the area (5-10 NM).
- Report position, altitude, arrival procedure intentions and estimated time of landing at least 5 minutes prior to entering the area;
- Maintain listening watch on the designated frequency;
- Report joining the circuit pattern giving position in the pattern;
- Report on downwind leg, if applicable;
- Report established on final approach; and
- Report clear of the active runway after landing.
- Report joining the downwind leg;
- Report established on final approach, stating intentions; and
- Report clear of the active runway after the final landing.
- Date modified: