Accident Synopses

Note: The following accident synopses are Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB) Class 5 events, which occurred between August 1, 2010, and October 31, 2010. These occurrences do not meet the criteria of classes 1 through 4, and are recorded by the TSB for possible safety analysis, statistical reporting, or archival purposes. The narratives may have been updated by the TSB since publication. For more information on any individual event, please contact the TSB.

— On August 2, 2010, a privately operated Cessna A185E on amphibious floats was taking off from Lake Couchiching, near Orillia, Ont., on a VFR flight to the Orillia/Lake St. John water aerodrome. After getting on the step during the take-off run, the aircraft struck a boat’s wake and nosed over. The landing gear structure was damaged and the propeller struck one of the floats. The aircraft remained upright and was towed to a dock without further damage. TSB File A10O0160.

— On August 6, 2010, a privately operated Cessna 177B was on the landing roll on a gravel road approximately 10 NM west of Shellbrook, Sask., when the left wingtip contacted tree branches to the left of the road. The pilot lost directional control and the aircraft swerved left into a ditch adjacent to the road. The nose landing gear collapsed and the aircraft was substantially damaged. The pilot was uninjured. TSB File A10C0137.

— On August 13, 2010, an Air Creation MILD GTE 582S basic ultralight took off from Chambly Airport, Que., with the pilot on board. Soon after takeoff, for an unknown reason, the pilot attempted an emergency landing on Highway 10. On final, the aircraft struck high voltage lines and then crashed on Highway 10. The aircraft was significantly damaged and the pilot was seriously injured. TSB File A10Q0131.

— On August 14, 2010, a Wag-Aero Cuby on floats took off from Lake Témiscouata, Que., with a pilot and one passenger on board. Some 50 ft above the surface of the water, the floatplane began an uncommanded turn to the left, which the pilot was unable to control. In the next few moments, the aircraft nosed down and hit the lake’s surface where it came to a standstill on its floats. The aircraft was significantly damaged. The two occupants were both wearing life jackets when they took off. They were rescued by some recreational boaters who were on the lake. TSB File A10Q0130.

— On August 15, 2010, a Dassault Falcon 900 EX was on the ramp at Medicine Hat, Alta. The aircraft began taxiing to the runway and struck a fence post with the left wing tip. The aircraft was subsequently grounded and is awaiting replacement parts. TSB File A10W0135.

— On August 18, 2010, a Bell 206B helicopter was inbound to Bischoff Lake, B.C., with three people on board. The pilot chose a landing area on the southwest side of the lake. Bischoff Lake’s elevation is 6 500 ft ASL and the ambient temperature was 25°C. As the aircraft approached the selected landing area, the pilot judged that the aircraft was moving too fast. The landing was rejected and a go-around was initiated. Power was increased to climb but the helicopter began to descend, even though torque was at 100 percent. The pilot pulled up on the collective but the helicopter continued to descend and began to yaw to the right. The helicopter continued to descend and rotate faster; the low rotor RPM horn sounded. Rotor RPM was at 90 percent. The pilot steered the helicopter to an area that was largely free of rocks. The helicopter hit the ground and rolled to the right. The pilot turned off the fuel and battery, and helped the passengers evacuate. The helicopter was substantially damaged; there were no injuries. TSB File A10P0273.

— On August 19, 2010, a Cessna U206G was on a VFR flight from Fort McMurray, Alta. to Fort Chipewyan, Alta. While en route, the pilot noted that the oil pressure was low. After contacting company aircraft in the area, it was decided to divert to the nearest aerodrome in Embarras, Alta. The oil pressure continued to fall, the propeller RPM surged, and the manifold pressure dropped. At 1 000 ft AGL, oil began to spray from beneath the engine cowling because the No. 6 cylinder connecting rod had penetrated the crankcase. The engine (Teledyne Continental IO-520-F) was shut down and a forced approach into a wooded area was executed. The aircraft was substantially damaged. The pilot and four passengers were not seriously injured and were taken to Fort McMurray by helicopter later that evening. TSB File A10W0136.

— On August 29, 2010, a Wag-Aero Sportsman 2+2, with a pilot and one passenger on board, left on a fishing trip from Lac Sébastien, Que., without a flight plan and without informing anyone of their destination. The aircraft and its occupants were reported missing on Sunday, August 29, and were found on the evening of August 31, some 78 NM northeast of Lac Sébastien near the Pipmuacan Reservoir and Lac du Fakir. TSB File A10Q0146.

— On August 31, 2010, the owner of an Aeronca 7EC wanted to ground-test the engine but the aircraft took off and crashed about half a mile from the runway. The aircraft was significantly damaged. The pilot-in-command was seriously injured. He had reconstructed the aircraft and it seems that the control cables were reversed. He did not have a pilot’s licence. TSB File A10Q0149.

— On August 31, 2010, an Aerospatiale AS350 BA helicopter was dropping off two surveyors in the Namur Lake area, Alta. The landing site was in a confined area. The initial touchdown was successful; however, the pilot repositioned the helicopter a short distance to facilitate an easier exit for the surveyors. During this manoeuvering, the main rotor blades contacted a sapling 2 in. in diameter, which resulted in major damage to all three blades. TSB File A10W0143.

Artist's impression of rotor strike
Artist’s impression of rotor strike

— On September 5, 2010, an amateur-built Christavia Mark 1 took off from a private strip near Lumby, B.C. in gusty wind conditions. Shortly after takeoff, the aircraft appeared to experience control difficulties and stalled. The aircraft impacted the ground in a field near the strip. There was a post-impact fire. The pilot and passenger did not survive. TSB File A10P0288.

— On September 6, 2010, a Schweizer G-164A Ag-Cat was on a VFR ferry flight from Kapuskasing, Ont. to Elliot Lake, Ont. Weather began to deteriorate about 20 NM north of Elliot Lake and the aircraft descended to maintain visual contact. While attempting to cross over a ridge about 3 NM north of the airport, visual contact was lost and the aircraft struck a tree with one wing, swiveled around and went nose-down towards the ground, coming to rest intact, supported mainly by trees and shrubs. After evacuating the aircraft, the pilot determined that there was no fire, returned to the aircraft, turned on the electrics, and contacted an overflying commercial flight on 121.5 MHz. The emergency locator transmitter (ELT) was not activated. The site was later located by a police helicopter. The pilot was uninjured and the wings of the aircraft were substantially damaged. It was noted that weather reports were not available for Elliot Lake at the time of the flight nor during preflight preparation. TSB File A10O0194.

— On September 12, 2010, a Piper PA-36 was applying a herbicide in the vicinity of Milden, Sask. The landing gear caught in an electrical line at the end of the field and the aircraft crashed. The pilot was seriously injured and the aircraft was substantially damaged. TSB File A10C0162.

— On September 12, 2010, a de Havilland Dash 8-400 had landed and all gates were occupied. The captain taxied to the de-ice bay and shut down both engines. Once a gate became free, the captain elected to start only the No. 2 engine and taxied to the gate. Applying the brakes did not stop the aircraft and the nose cone and nose gear impacted a tug, causing damage and a hydraulic leak. The right propeller struck a ground power unit. The tip of the propeller broke off and damaged two cabin windows. There were no reported injuries. The No. 1 engine contains the engine-driven hydraulic pump and when the No. 2 engine was started, the standby AC hydraulic pump was not selected, so no hydraulic pressure was available for the brakes. The No. 2 engine and propeller will be replaced due to the propeller strike. An SMS evaluation will be conducted by the operator. TSB File A10A0095.

— On September 15, 2010, a Taylorcraft BC12-D was on final approach to land on the pilot’s private strip, approximately 25 NM east of Dorval, Que., when the aircraft struck wires. The aircraft flipped over and came to rest upside down. The passenger was seriously injured. The pilot sustained minor injuries. The aircraft was substantially damaged. The occurrence took place at dusk. TSB File A10Q0156.

— On September 19, 2010, an Explorer advanced ultralight on pneumatic floats had taken off from the St-François River at water aerodrome CSA7 in Drummondville, Que., for a local flight. During the flight, the pilot suddenly felt a full deflection of the two rudder bar pedals. As a result, the aircraft yawed to the right and, despite application of the left aileron, the aircraft became difficult to control. The pilot made an emergency landing on a stretch of highway that was under construction. On contact with the gravel, the aircraft bounced and turned off toward a ditch. The aircraft was heavily damaged and the right wing was broken. The pilot sustained minor injuries and the passenger was not injured. An examination revealed that the left rudder cable had broken as a result of excessive wear: it had been rubbing against the floor and the steel guard on one of the pulleys. The cable was also corroding at the point of the fracture and the right cable was also showing signs of wear. The diameter of the pulleys (1 in.) and that of the two rudder cables was smaller than what is normally used. As is often the case, the cable tension on the aircraft is provided by return springs. When the left cable broke, the right spring pulled on the right cable, which caused the yawing to the right. TSB File A10Q0159.

— On September 22, 2010, a Cessna 172 on floats had taken off from Lac du Sapin Croche, Que., for a local flight. Upon its return, it landed on the water and then taxied towards a cottage. When it was about 150 ft from shore, a wind squall lifted the back part of the aircraft and flipped it over. The pilot, who was alone on board, was not injured. He was wearing a Mustang flotation device and was able to swim to shore without difficulty. The aircraft remained above water, suspended by its floats. TSB File A10Q0161.

— On September 24, 2010, the crew of a Cessna C180J was performing training circuits on glassy water on Little Chippewa Lake approximately 30 NM northwest of South Indian Lake, Man. After several successful circuits, the aircraft swung to the left when power was applied for takeoff. The left float dug in and the aircraft nosed over. The cabin filled quickly through the broken windshield. The aircraft sank in approximately 10 ft of water. The two occupants were uninjured and were able to exit the aircraft safely. The left float was broken and the aircraft was substantially damaged. The pilot-in-command had recently attended an underwater egress training course. TSB File A10C0171.

— On September 26, 2010, an amphibious DHC-2 aircraft took off from Port McNeill aerodrome, B.C., on a VFR flight to Rivers Inlet, B.C. As the weather was marginal, the pilot became preoccupied with receiving weather information on the radio immediately after takeoff and did not retract the landing gear. Upon arrival at Rivers Inlet, the pilot checked the landing gear pressure but did not visually confirm the landing gear position. On touch down, the aircraft overturned and sank and the cabin filled with water. The four occupants evacuated the aircraft successfully but none were wearing a life jacket. As the aircraft was expected, a boat was waiting and picked up all the occupants within five minutes. There were no injuries, but the aircraft was substantially damaged. TSB File A10P0308.

— On September 27, 2010, the pilot of a Cessna 152 was en route from Wawa, Ont. to Sioux Lookout, Ont. The Sioux Lookout flight service station (FSS) received a call from the pilot stating that he was out of fuel. The pilot conducted a forced landing into a tilled field 6 NM east of Sioux Lookout Airport. The aircraft impacted the ground at a high angle and low velocity. The aircraft was substantially damaged and the pilot was seriously injured. Overflying aircraft reported a continuous and strong emergency locator transmitter (ELT) signal. They provided the coordinates of the site and directed emergency personnel. The pilot was extricated from the wreck and transported to hospital. TSB File A10C0174.

— On September 30, 2010, while conducting circuits at the Kamloops Airport, B.C., the pilot of a Piper PA-31T Cheyenne inadvertently landed on Runway 08 with the landing gear in the retracted position. The pilot and passenger were uninjured but the aircraft was substantially damaged. There was no fire. TSB File A10P0312.

— On October 7, 2010, the pilot of a Schleicher ASW-15B glider was soaring in mountain waves near Cowley, Alta. He was unable to return to Cowley when he ran out of lift, and landed in rocky terrain about 10 NM southwest of Cowley. The glider was substantially damaged but the pilot was uninjured. TSB File A10W0163.

— On October 10, 2010, a Piper PA28-140 was on a VFR flight near the airport at St-Georges de Beauce, Que. During the landing roll, it seems that a wind squall caused the aircraft to swerve to the left of Runway 24. The pilot, who was alone on board, was unable to bring the aircraft back onto the runway. The main wheel on the left side struck a runway light and the left wing hit a runway sign. The aircraft continued, crossing the ditch at the edge of the runway, and came to a stop about 100 ft later. The pilot was not injured. The left wheel and the propeller were damaged, the nose wheel was torn off, and the root of the left wing was knocked in. Reported winds were 270° at 8 kt. Several witnesses reported a wind squall just before the occurrence. TSB File A10Q0183.

— On October 19, 2010, a Hiller UH-12E helicopter took off from Chetwynd, B.C. and flew to a job site 20 NM southwest. The job was to seed grass along a pipeline. While seeding at an altitude of about 150 ft, the engine (Lycoming IO-540) stopped. The pilot made an autorotation into a clearing but landed hard and rolled over. The helicopter was substantially damaged and the pilot was uninjured. The 406 emergency locator transmitter (ELT) was activated. TSB File A10P0337.

Date modified: