Accident Synopses

Note: All aviation accidents are investigated by the Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB). Each occurrence is assigned a level, from 1 to 5, which indicates the depth of investigation. Class 5 investigations consist of data collection pertaining to occurrences that do not meet the criteria of classes 1 through 4, and will be recorded for possible safety analysis, statistical reporting, or archival purposes. The narratives below, which occurred between November 2005 and January 2006, are all "Class 5," and are unlikely to be followed by a TSB Final Report.

-On November 9, 2005, a Bell 206B helicopter was transporting two passengers from Island Lake, Ont., to a fishing camp situated 50 NM east of Island Lake, on East Lake, Ont. Upon touching down on a log-constructed landing pad, the pilot applied collective to reposition the helicopter on the pad. The right bear paw on the high-skid landing gear caught a root or stump near the pad, and the helicopter rolled over onto its right side. The pilot and passengers were wearing shoulder restraints, which minimized their injuries; one passenger received a minor cut to the head. The pilot used an on-board satellite phone to call for assistance. TSB File A05C0204.

Artist's impression of the rollover as it happened
Artist's impression of the rollover as it happened

-On November 12, 2005, a RAF 2000 GTX‑SE‑F1 gyroplane had just taken off from the Saint-Hyacinthe, Que., airport when it was seen conducting a right turn with a longitudinal oscillating movement. The main rotor struck the tail and the aircraft crashed. The aircraft was destroyed on impact, and in the fire that ensued. The pilot, the only one on board, was fatally injured. This was the first flight since the aircraft had undergone major repairs following an accident that occurred on September 5, 2005. TSB File A05Q0212.

-On November 12, 2005, the pilot of an R22 was practising lateral movements near the ground, when the right skid struck the sloping ground. The aircraft rolled onto its right side before coming to a stop. The pilot, who was the only person on board, was not injured. The aircraft was substantially damaged. TSB File A05Q0217.

-On November 14, 2005, an Aerospatiale AS350BA helicopter was manoeuvring at about 100 ft above tree tops prior to entering a confined area, when the main rotor rpm reportedly entered an overspeed condition of more than 450 rpm. The collective was raised in an unsuccessful attempt to slow the rotor rpm, and then the throttle was removed from the flight detent. The engine suddenly lost power and the low rotor rpm horn sounded. The helicopter settled into the trees and came to rest on its right side, and was substantially damaged. The pilot and two of the passengers were uninjured; the third passenger received minor injuries. Assistance was summoned by satellite phone. TSB File A05W0232.

-On December 11, 2005, a Piper PA‑12X (Super Cruiser) on skis was returning from a local flight. The pilot, alone on board, had to change the landing area because there were snowmobiles on the lake. After landing, the pilot taxied on the frozen surface of the lake to return to his home. At one point, he noticed that the ice was about to break under the weight of the aircraft. He stopped and had enough time to exit the aircraft before it broke through the ice and sank up to its wings. TSB File A05Q0227.

-On December 19, 2005, a Bell 206B helicopter was on a railway support operations flight. While descending to land beside the railroad tracks, a main rotor blade struck a telephone wire strung alongside the tracks. The pilot did not see the wire due to reduced visibility in semi-whiteout conditions while approaching the ground to land. There were no injuries to the occupants on board. The main rotor blades and drive train required maintenance action. TSB File A05Q0228.

-On December 21, 2005, the pilot of a Cessna C180J floatplane had dropped-off two passengers and was taxiing away in Stewardson Inlet, B.C. With the engine set at 1 000 rpm, the aircraft was overturned by a severe port-side quartering tailwind gust. The winds in the area were reportedly at 23 kt, gusting to 27 kt. The aircraft remained afloat and the pilot climbed onto a float, then paddled the aircraft to the shoreline where he secured it to a tree; he was later rescued by boat. TSB File A05P0301.

-On December 22, 2005, a Beech King Air B200 was departing from Runway 25 at the Valley View, Alta., airport, approximately one hour before sunrise. During the final stages of the take-off roll, the pilot-flying noticed a large brown object off to one side, followed by a thud. The flight crew rejected the takeoff and the aircraft was brought to a stop with 20 ft of runway remaining. The remains of a medium-sized deer were found on the runway. Damage from the impact required repairs to the left main gear doors and left propeller, and the removal of the left engine for a hot section overhaul. Transport Canada Aerodrome Safety subsequently reported that the Valley View airport is a registered aerodrome rather than a certified site; therefore, it is not required to have a bird and wildlife program. This deer strike was the first time an event such as this has ever occurred since the inception of the airport there. The town does provide runway condition reports to incoming charter flights, and maintains the runway and apron lighting as well as their surfaces. TSB File A05W0250.

-On December 27, 2005, a Hughes 500D helicopter had been engaged in logging operations near Powell River, B.C. The pilot landed to refuel the helicopter after finishing work in the second area. After shutting down the engine, the pilot removed his helmet, exited the helicopter and walked to the fuel truck. Upon standing up on the fuel truck, the pilot was struck in the head by the outboard foot of the still-turning main rotor blades. The pilot was medivaced to hospital. TSB File A05P0304.

-On December 30, 2005, a King Air B100 was inbound to La Ronge, Sask., from Pinehouse Lake, Sask., on a MEDEVAC flight. On descent into La Ronge, the crew noticed ice building in the wing leading edges. At approximately 6 NM back on final, the crew operated the wing de-ice boots; however, a substantial amount of residual ice remained after application of the boots. It was reported that in the landing flare, at about 100 kt, the aircraft experienced an ice-induced stall from an altitude of about 20 ft, followed by a hard landing. The right wing and nacelle buckled forward and downward from the landing impact forces, to the extent that the right propeller struck the runway surface while the aircraft was taxiing off the runway. TSB File A05C0225.

-On January 11, 2006, a Beech A100 was on a MEDEVAC flight from Red Lake, Ont., to Dryden, Ont., and it experienced a hard landing on Runway 11 at Dryden. The aircraft was able to taxi to the ramp; however, post-flight examination revealed skin buckling on the fuselage, which will likely require major repair. There were no injuries to the crew or two paramedics on board. The crew had experienced ice on approach, but believed the ice was shed normally. Information provided indicated that a small amount of ice and residual ice was observed on the aircraft after the landing. TSB File A06C0005.

-On January 11, 2006, a Piper PA‑31 was landing on Runway 30 at Wetaskiwin, Alta. (CEX3), after an IFR flight from Vermilion, Alta. During the landing, the crew lost sight of the runway in a thin layer of dense fog that covered the airport. They aborted the landing, and the aircraft settled into a field about ½ mi. northwest of the airport. The pilots sustained serious injuries and the aircraft was substantially damaged. The flight crew used a cell phone to call for help. The emergency locator transmitter (ELT) activated during impact. TSB File A06W0010.

-On January 14, 2006, a private Cessna 172M was landing on an unregistered grass strip at Linden, Alta., as part of a group of aircraft on a "fly-in." It floated most of the way down the 3 000-ft strip before touching down about 1 000 ft from the end. The pilot was unable to stop with maximum braking, and the aircraft drifted off the right side, colliding with an unoccupied Sylvaire Bushmaster II ultralight in the parking area. Both aircraft ended up on a road off the end of the strip and sustained substantial damage. The ELT on the Cessna was activated automatically. The two occupants of the Cessna were wearing shoulder harnesses and were uninjured. Between ¼ to ½ in. of loose snow covered the strip, and the Cessna 172 landed with a light tailwind. By the time the pilot determined that he would not be able to stop in the remaining distance, an aborted landing was not possible due to a 40-ft power line across the departure end of the runway. TSB File A06W0015.

-On January 15, 2006, after conducting a first solo flight, a student-pilot taxied a Cessna 150 to the tie-down area. While taxiing, the aircraft's left wing struck a hangar and creased the wing skin. Maintenance is sending the left wing out to be reskinned. TSB File A06O0010.

-On January 18, 2006, a PA‑31‑350 was conducting a flight between Puvirnituq, Que., and Inukjuak, Que., with one pilot and one passenger on board. While on short final for Runway 07, at approximately 100 ft AGL, the aircraft suddenly lost altitude due to strong winds, and touched the ground approximately 200 ft before the runway threshold. The landing gear broke, and the aircraft came to a stop on the runway. The aircraft was substantially damaged. Nobody was injured. According to the METAR for 1700Z, which was a few minutes before the accident occurred, the winds were 100° at 16 kt, gusting up to 24 kt, the visibility was ½ mi. in light snow with snowdrifts, and the vertical visibility was 1 000 ft. TSB File A06Q0004.

Date modified: