Accident Synopses

Note: The following accident synopses are Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB) Class 5 events, which occurred between November 1, 2010, and January 31, 2011. These occurrences do not meet the criteria of classes 1 through 4, and are recorded by the TSB for possible safety analysis, statistical reporting, or archival purposes. The narratives may have been updated by the TSB since publication. For more information on any individual event, please contact the TSB.

— On November 4, 2010, an ATR 42-300 was parked on the ramp at Arviat, Nun. The #2 engine was running on speed with the parking brake set. As the #1 engine was brought out of feather during the start procedure, the landing gear unsafe chime rang. The nose gear lights (both upper and lower) indicated unsafe. The aircraft slowly settled to rest on the collapsed nose gear and gear doors. Maintenance action: replacement of nose gear and nose gear doors. TSB File A10C0198.

— On November 8, 2010, an ultralight Challenger II was carrying out touch-and-go landings at the airport in Lachute, Que. When the aircraft was landing on Runway 10, a wind squall carried it southward just before touchdown. The student pilot pulled up. The aircraft hit some trees about 75 m south of the runway. The aircraft sustained significant damage. The pilot was not injured. TSB File A10Q0195.

— On November 12, 2010, an amateur-built Kitfox IV 1200 was on the ramp at Brantford, Ont., with the engine (Rotax 912UL) running. The passenger approached the aircraft to enter from the right side and inadvertently turned towards the propeller. Before the pilot could shut down the engine, the propeller struck the passenger’s right shoulder resulting in serious injury. One propeller blade broke as a result of the impact. Emergency medical services responded and the passenger was taken to hospital for surgery. TSB File A10O0239.

— On November 12, 2010, an advanced ultralight Quad City Challenger II/A was carrying out touch-and-go landings on Runway 09 at the airport in Gatineau, Que. (CYND). During the initial climb, a wind squall carried the aircraft to the right about 20 ft above the ground. The right wing hit the grass and the aircraft turned before coming to a stop. The pilot, who was alone on board, was not injured. The aircraft sustained significant damage to the right wing, the front wheel and the nose. TSB File A10Q0199.

— On November 13, 2010, an unregistered motorized parachute was flying in the Sorel/Tracy area, above the town. The engine failed while the aircraft was at a low altitude and it struck the ground a few ft from a cycling path. The pilot was seriously injured. TSB File A10Q0200.

— On November 13, 2010, an ultralight float-equipped Teratorn Tierra II was on a VFR flight in the Luskville, Que., area. When landing on the glassy water of the Ottawa River, the aircraft struck the water hard and flipped over. The pilot was not injured. The aircraft sustained significant damage. TSB File A10Q0201.

— On November 18, 2010, a float-equipped DHC-3T aircraft was taking off at Kingcome Inlet, B.C., for a flight to Campbell River, B.C. Takeoff into the 8-10 kt wind was considered impractical because of a sandbar and rising terrain, so the takeoff was being made downwind. As the aircraft came up on the step, it was struck by a strong gust of wind, which caused a complete loss of rudder authority and the aircraft began to turn to the left. Full right rudder and a reduction of power could not arrest the left turn and the left wing struck a dolphin (marine structure). The aircraft was substantially damaged but the two occupants were not injured. TSB File A10P0371.

— On November 24, 2010, an amateur-built Cyclone 180 was on a VFR flight to a water aerodrome in the Montréal area when it struck the ground approximately 4 NM southeast of Lake Simon, Que., its point of departure. The pilot, who was alone on board, sustained fatal injuries. The aircraft was destroyed by the impact, after which it burst into flames. Two TSB investigators were deployed to the accident site. TSB File A10Q0208.

— On November 28, 2010, a Lancair IV-P had departed from Edmonton City Centre, Alta. (CYXD) on an IFR flight plan for Wetaskiwin, Alta. (CEX3). Near the airport, the pilot cancelled IFR in favour of a VFR approach. The aircraft struck the ground approximately ½ mi. southwest of the threshold of Runway 30 on a track of 210 degrees. The aircraft bounced and skidded for 1 000 ft, losing the empennage, right wing and engine before coming to a rest. Both occupants walked away with minor injuries. TSB File A10W0191.

— On November 28, 2010, a amateur-built Zenair CH200 was on approach to the Saugeen Municipal Airport (CPN4), Ont., when the engine (Continental O-200-A) lost power. The pilot conducted a forced approach and ditched the aircraft in Lake Rosalind, Ont. The landing on the lake surface caused substantial damage to the left wing, landing gear and engine. The aircraft sank shortly after it came to rest. The pilot drowned, as he was unable to evacuate the aircraft before it sank. TSB File A10O0244.

— On November 30, 2010, a Piper PA-31 was conducting geographical surveys in the La Grande Rivière, Que., area when the right engine (a Lycoming TIO-540-A1A) surged significantly. The pilot secured the engine and declared an emergency when he saw that the aircraft could not maintain its altitude of about 1 200 ft. The pilot made an emergency landing about 12 mi. north of the La Grande Rivière airport (CYGL). The two occupants were uninjured. The aircraft was completely destroyed by fire. The pilot was able to make an emergency call with a cell phone and the two occupants were rescued a few minutes later by a helicopter that was in the area. The aircraft was equipped with a 406 MHz ELT, which activated on impact and sent a distress signal to the search and rescue centre. The two engines were dismantled. TSB File A10Q0212.

— On January 3, 2011, a Beech B200 was landing on Runway 24 at Maple Creek (CJQ4), Sask. The runway was covered in snow. During the landing roll, the left main gear contacted deeper snow and the aircraft veered to the left. The left main gear caught a 14 in. windrow along the south edge of the runway and the pilot lost directional control. The aircraft departed the runway surface to the left and the nose gear collapsed. The aircraft sustained substantial damage to the nose and propellers. The pilot and two passengers were not injured. TSB File A11C0002.

— On January 4, 2011, an Aerospatiale AS332L1 Super Puma helicopter was undergoing ground runs for tail rotor balancing adjustments at Boundary Bay, B.C., after maintenance. A pilot was operating the helicopter, seated in the right seat, accompanied by three aircraft maintenance engineers (AME): one was seated at the left front next to the ground power unit (GPU), one was seated at the right front outside the rotor disc, and one was operating the balancing equipment at the rear. The #1 engine was started and moved to 97%, rotors turning. As the #2 engine was started, the helicopter began to rise off its right wheel and tilt to the left. It was assumed there was a flat tire, but confirmed not to be so. The pilot ensured the collective was down but the helicopter continued to roll to the left, ending up on its left side. Both engines were shut off and the three AMEs exited the immediate area. The pilot released himself from his harness, switched off electrical power and exited the helicopter from the right rear cabin door. The pilot sustained minor injuries. There was no fire but the helicopter was substantially damaged. TSB File A11P0004.

Photo of Super Puma resting on its side after rollover
Super Puma resting on its side after rollover
Photo: Mr. Brad Jorgenson

— On January 6, 2011, a Cessna 172RG was returning to Regina, Sask., from Assiniboia, Sask., when the aircraft encountered deteriorating weather conditions. The pilot requested special VFR flight clearance into Regina, but the weather was below limits. The pilot requested a diversion to Moose Jaw, Sask., but the runway was closed. The pilot turned towards a private airstrip located near Lumsden, Sask., and at low altitude, lost visual reference with the ground. The aircraft struck the ground at a level attitude and bounced back into the air. The engine began to run rough and the pilot elected to land in a snow-covered field ahead. The pilot extended the landing gear and flaps and upon touchdown, the nose gear collapsed. The pilot escaped uninjured; however, the aircraft’s propeller and nose gear were damaged. A subsequent examination of the aircraft revealed that the nose gear may have failed to extend due to gear door damage caused by the initial contact with the ground. TSB File A11C0003.

— On January 31, 2011, the pilot was starting a basic ultralight Spectrum Beaver for an intended local flight at the Welland/Niagara Central Airport (CNQ3), Ont. The aircraft is powered by a pusher propeller and is fitted with ski landing gear. The aircraft was equipped with a manual pull-starter that is operated from outside the aircraft. After the engine started, the aircraft moved forward and the pilot was struck by the propeller resulting in serious injury. TSB File A11O0011.

Date modified: