Flight Crew Recency Requirements Self-Paced Study Program
- ISSUE 4/2006
- Copyright and Credits
- Don't Forget to Subscribe to the Transport Canada Aeronautical Information Manual!
- Guest Editorial
- To the Letter
- Recently Released TSB Reports
- Accident Synopses
- Winter Operations
- Maintenance and Certification
- The Civil Aviation Medical Examiner and You
- Regulations and You
- Flight Crew Recency Requirements Self-Paced Study Program
- Full HTML Version
- PDF Version
Refer to paragraph 421.05(2)(d) of the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs).
This questionnaire is for use from November 1, 2006, to October 31, 2007. Completion of this questionnaire satisfies the 24-month recurrent training program requirements of CAR 401.05(2)(a). It is to be retained by the pilot.
Note: The answers may be found in the Transport Canada Aeronautical Information Manual (TC AIM). TC AIM references are at the end of each question. Amendments to this publication may result in changes to answers and/or references.
- Convert 1020.5 millibars into inches of mercury. ______
- The SECURITAS program provides a means for individuals to report ________________ and ________________ relating to the Canadian transportation system.
- Runway contaminants such as water, snow or ice will (increase/ decrease) the landing distance.
- When a section of runway or heliport is closed, it is marked with an __.
(AGA 3.3 and AGA 5.6)
- Control of ARCAL lights should be possible when aircraft are within ___NM of the aerodrome.
- Retroreflective markers (will/will not) provide the pilot with the same visual presentation as normal runway lighting when the aircraft is lined up on final approach.
- The removal of the audio identification from non-directional beacons (NDB), VHF omnidirectional ranges (VOR), distance measuring equipment (DME) or instrument landing systems (ILS) warns pilots that the facility may be __________ even though ____________.
- A wide area augmentation system (WAAS) NOTAM will be issued when a WAAS service is predicted not to be available for a duration of more than ______ min.
- What does the equipment suffix "G" indicate in item 10 (equipment) on a flight plan? __________________
- Can VFR GPS receivers be used to replace current charts? ____
- For air-to-air communications between pilots in the Northern Domestic Airspace (NDA), what is the correct frequency to use? ______ MHz.
- An aerodrome forecast (TAF) provides expected conditions for ___________________ at specific aerodromes, whereas an area forecast chart (GFA) depicts _________________________ affecting flight at a specific time over a particular area.
- Areas of showery or intermittent precipitation are shown on a GFA Clouds and Weather Chart as ____________________.
- In a TAF, any cases of strong, non-conductive low level wind shear within _____ ft AGL will be coded as "__".
- In a TAF, "TEMPO" is only used when the modified forecast condition is expected to last less than ________ in each instance.
- TAF CYXU 011035Z 011123 27015G25KT 3SM RA OVC005
BECMG 1314 OVC 020
FM 1700Z 29005KT P6SM OVC030 TEMPO 1723 BKN030
RMK NXT FCST BY 17Z =
In the weather report above, the forecast wind for 1500Z is _________________________________.
- SPECI CYSJ 221650Z 08017G24 3/8SM R23/2000FT/N –SN DRSN VV006
M03/M05 A2953 RMK SN8 VSBY VRBL 3/4 11/2
In the weather report above, the prevailing visibility is _____ and the visibility is obscured by ______________.
- Are the winds in aviation weather forecasts and reports given in degrees true or magnetic? GFA: _____; TAF: _____; FD: _____; METAR: _____.
(MET 3.3.11, 3.9.3, 3.11, 3.15.3)
- Does ATC assume responsibility for obstacle clearance when you are radar identified? ___
- If you observe suspicious ground activities at an abandoned airstrip, what report should you make? _____________
- Taxi authorizations that contain the instructions "hold" or "hold short" (shall/need not) be read back by the pilot.
- Where possible, pilots are required to report at least ____ min before entering an MF area.
- A ___________ must be filed for all flights between Canada and a foreign state.
- On flights from Canada to the U.S., at least ________ advance notice of arrival must be provided to U.S. Customs.
- On flights to Canada, pilots must land at a Canada Customs authorized airport of entry (AOE). Pilots must make their own customs arrangements by calling ______________ at least _________ before flying into Canada.
- Pilots receiving a MANOT message are requested to maintain a radio watch on ______ MHz when operating in the vicinity of the track of the missing aircraft.
- List the four steps that should be accomplished (where practicable) during your preflight inspection of the emergency locator transmitter (ELT).
- __________________; and
- When an ELT signal is heard in flight, the nearest ATS unit should be advised of what four pieces of information?
- ___________________; and
- In the event of a crash, what should you do with the ELT's function switch, and when? ______________________
- 061234 NOTAMN CYSB SUBDURY
RWY 04/22 CLOSED TIL APRX 0612151530
Runway 04/22 is expected to open at _____Z on (date) ___________.
- What is the significance of the term "APRX" in the above NOTAM? _____________________________
- 060210 NOTAMR 060202 CYND WINCHESTER
CNA8 UNMANNED AERIAL VEHICLE OPS 3NM RADIUS 450610N
752854W (APRX 9 NM NW AD) SFC TO 2400 FT MSL
0605051700 TIL 0605052300
What is the significance of the letter "R" at the end of the word "NOTAM" above? __________________ (MAP 5.6.2)
- A Canadian medical certificate for a private pilot licence is valid in Canada for ___ months if under age 40, and for ___ months if age 40 or older. (LRA 3.2.4)
- In accordance with CAR 401.08, every applicant for, and every holder of, a flight crew permit, licence or rating shall maintain a ______________. (LRA 3.7.6)
- The flight crew recency requirements address three time periods. To act as pilot-in-command or co-pilot you must meet the ___________________ recency requirements. If you wish to carry passengers, you must also meet the ________ requirements. (LRA 3.9)
- In order to carry passengers, you must have completed __ takeoffs and landings in the same category and class of aircraft in the previous __ months. (LRA 3.9)
- Class A fires are fires in _________________. (AIR 1.4.2)
- An aircraft altimeter which has the current altimeter setting applied to the subscale should not have an error of more than ___ ft when compared on the ground against a known aerodrome or runway elevation. (AIR 1.5.1)
- By ______ ft ASL the partial pressure of oxygen is such that all pilots will experience mild hypoxia and some will become symptomatic. (AIR 3.2.1)
- If, on descent, the pressure in the ears (or sinuses) cannot be relieved by swallowing, yawning or Valsalva manoeuvre, it is best to ______________________.(AIR 3.8)
Answers to this quiz can be found below.
- incidents; potentially unsafe acts or conditions
- unreliable; it transmits
- It conveys the ability to follow direct routings using GPS.
- landing and takeoff; forecast weather elements
- hatched areas enclosed by a dashed green line
- 1 500; WS
- one hour
- 270 degrees at 15 kt gusting to 25 kt
- 3/8 SM; light snow and drifting snow
- True; True; True; True
- CIRVIS report
- flight plan
- one hour
- 1-888-226-7277; two hours
- Inspect the ELT to ensure that it is secure, free of external corrosion, and that the antenna connections are secure; ensure that the ELT function switch is in the "ARM" position; ensure that ELT batteries have not reached their expiry date; and listen on 121.5 MHz to ensure the ELT is not transmitting.
- Position, altitude and time when signal was first heard; ELT signal strength; position, altitude and time when contact lost; and whether ELT signal ceased suddenly or faded.
- Place the ELT function switch to "ON" as soon as possible after the crash.
- 1530; December 15, 2006
- A replacing or canceling NOTAM is required.
- It is a replacing NOTAM.
- 60; 24
- personal log
- 5-year and 2-year; 6-month
- 5; 6
- ordinary combustible materials
- 10 000
- climb back to the original altitude or to a higher level
- Date modified: