Accident Synopses

Note: The following accident synopses are Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB) Class 5 events, which occurred between February 1, 2010, and April 30, 2010. These occurrences do not meet the criteria of classes 1 through 4, and are recorded by the TSB for possible safety analysis, statistical reporting, or archival purposes. The narratives may have been updated by the TSB since publication. For more information on any individual event, please contact the TSB.

— On February 6, 2010, a privately registered Stinson 108-2 had departed from the ice surface of Lake Winnipeg, near the mouth of the Manigatogan River, for a VFR flight with a pilot and one passenger to Lyncrest airport near Winnipeg, Man. Shortly after takeoff, the pilot noted that the visibility had deteriorated, and attempted to return to his departure point. During the turn, the pilot encountered whiteout conditions and was unable to maintain visual reference to the ground. The aircraft descended and collided with the ice surface approximately 4 NM southwest of the Manigatogan River. The pilot sustained minor injuries and the passenger sustained serious injuries. The aircraft sustained substantial damage from the impact, and was later destroyed when the pilot lit the wreckage to attract rescue personnel. The emergency locator transmitter (ELT) was damaged in the fire. TSB File A10C0017.

— On February 8, 2010, a Piper PA-44-180 Seminole with an instructor and two students on board was conducting single-engine approaches to the Toronto/ Markham, Ont., airport. During the occurrence approach, the student was having difficulty with the approach and the pilots forgot to lower the landing gear. The aircraft touched down with the gear retracted and was substantially damaged. There were no injuries. TSB File A10O0025.

— On February 21, 2010, an amateur-built Super Ben 160 took off from a field around 5 mi. west of Chicoutimi, Que., for a local flight in VFR conditions. During takeoff, the aircraft was pushed out to the right by a crosswind. The right wing hit a tree and the aircraft pivoted and went into a ditch. The pilot was not injured. The emergency locator transmitter (ELT) was triggered on impact and was immediately turned off by the pilot. The aircraft sustained damage to the wings, the propeller, the engine cowl, and the engine. TSB File A10Q0020.

— On February 21, 2010, an RS Ultra Kangook B powered parachute was flying above the Saint-Charles- Borromée Park in the Joliette, Que., area when the pilot lost control of the aircraft and crashed upon landing. The aircraft sustained major damage. The pilot sustained minor injuries. TSB File A10Q0022.

— On March 4, 2010, a wheel- and ski-equipped de Havilland DHC-3T Turbo Otter was landing at Webequie, Ont. Immediately after touchdown, the aircraft nosed over, striking the propeller and damaging the engine (Pratt & Whitney PT6A-35). The aircraft settled back on its wheels and remained upright. Information provided indicated that the brakes were frozen. TSB File A10C0026.

— On March 7, 2010, the pilot of a Cessna 172 was conducting a low-altitude waterfowl survey with two passengers on board, approximately 14 NM east of Yarmouth, N.S. While conducting the survey, the engine (Lycoming O-320-B2D) lost power. The pilot then elected to conduct a forced landing on a paved road. The aircraft contacted a telephone line just prior to touchdown with approximately 600 ft of road remaining. The aircraft veered toward the right, and the right wing struck a stop sign. The aircraft continued forward, crossing a ditch and striking a tree before coming to rest. The pilot and the two passengers were seriously injured. The aircraft was substantially damaged. TSB File A10A0025.

— On March 7, 2010, a Hiller UH-12E helicopter was conducting tree cone harvesting approximately 10 NM north of Hythe, Alta., when on an approach the tail rotor struck branches. An attempt was made to pull up; however, this led to an over-torque condition and the helicopter fell to the ground in forested terrain. The pilot was the lone occupant and was not injured. TSB File A10W0044.

— On March 9, 2010, a ski-equipped PA11 Piper was preparing for a private flight in the Gatineau, Que., area. The aircraft was parked at the edge of a lake. The mooring lines were not attached. Since the aircraft did not have an electrical system, the engine was started using the propeller. A second pilot started the engine while the pilot who owned the aircraft was at the controls. The two pilots let the engine warm up, standing away from the prop wash behind the right wing. After a few minutes, under the combined effect of the prop wash and the slight slope of the shoreline, the aircraft began to slide toward the lake. Concerned with the situation, the pilot who was not the owner ran to the cockpit with the intention of stopping the engine. He was unaware that the aircraft did not have a mixture control with idle cut-off, and that the engine needed to be shut off by cutting the magneto ignition. It seems that the pilot’s clothing accidentally moved the gas control on the left wall of the cockpit. The engine accelerated, the aircraft climbed over a snowbank and did a semi-circle on the lake, hitting trees along the shoreline. The pilot on board was not injured. The aircraft sustained major damage. TSB File A10Q0029.

— On March 16, 2010, the pilot of the Beaver RX 550 basic ultralight took off on skis from Lac Paré, Que., for a local flight. The aircraft experienced downdraughts during the initial climb. It hit some spruce trees then crashed into the roof of a house. The passenger was not injured, but the pilot sustained chest injuries. Firefighters removed the aircraft from the roof since fuel was leaking from the aircraft. Two rafters and the roof covering were damaged. The aircraft sustained major damage. TSB File A10Q0032.

— On March 22, 2010, a Bell 212 helicopter engaged in heli-skiing operations reportedly encountered whiteout conditions while attempting to land in mountainous terrain to drop off skiers 20 mi. west of White Saddle Ranch, near Alexis Creek, B.C. The aircraft drifted away from the landing site, the main rotor blade struck a snow-covered slope and the helicopter rolled onto its right side. The pilot sustained minor injuries. The ten passengers were not injured. TSB File A10P0073.

Helicopter accident
The operator took extensive follow-up action and found it had
all the best “hard” safety measures in place, such as standards,
SOPs and competency-based training. Therefore, it focused on the
human factors side of things in order to prevent a recurrence.

— On March 27, 2010, the pilot of a Cessna 210B was preparing to depart on a cross-country flight and decided to fly a circuit before loading his passengers. When he extended the gear during the circuit, the nose gear failed to extend. After attempting a manual extension, the pilot recycled the gear a couple of times with the same result. He then phoned his maintenance facility and received suggestions on other sequences to try, but the nose gear did not extend. After circling the airport for about 3 hr to reduce the fuel load, the aircraft landed with the main gear extended and the nose gear retracted. The pilot was uninjured, but the aircraft sustained damage to the propeller, engine, nose gear doors, lower cowl, and lower forward fuselage. Maintenance lifted the forward fuselage, pried open the doors, and manually released the nose gear uplock. The gear extended normally and locked down. Further tests were planned to try to duplicate the uplock malfunction. TSB File A10W0046.

— On March 28, 2010, a Cessna 172M left Prince George, B.C., for a dual cross-country flight via Quesnel and Barkerville, back to Prince George. After a touch-and-go landing at Quesnel, the aircraft continued to Barkerville. When overhead Barkerville, the student and instructor visually inspected the snow-covered runway and made a low pass. The snow surface appeared to be compact and the instructor decided to allow the student to land. The aircraft landed on Runway 11, but during the landing roll the wheels dug into the snow and the aircraft overturned. The aircraft was substantially damaged but the two pilots were not injured. TSB File A10P0082.

— On April 5, 2010, an ATR-42 was landing at Pangnirtung, Nun., in good weather conditions. The aircraft landed firmly and bounced once. After the flight, the crew inspected the aircraft and noticed cosmetic damages to the COMM2 antenna. After the following flight to the maintenance base in Iqaluit, substantial structural damages to the tail section were found, requiring repairs before the next flight. TSB File A10Q0039.

— On April 14, 2010, a Cessna 172 was conducting a VFR training flight with a student-pilot on board. The pilot lost control of the aircraft during the landing roll on Runway 03 at Sorel, Que. The aircraft exited the runway on the left and came to rest, nose down, in a drainage ditch. The pilot was not injured in the accident. TSB File A10Q0043.

— On April 16, 2010, a Bell 206LR helicopter was on a re-positioning flight from Yellowknife, N.W.T., to Whitehorse, Y.T. After departure from Watson Lake, Y.T., the aircraft was crossing a ridge at approximately 5 000 ft above sea level (ASL) when a decision was made to land on top of a mountain. After determining the wind direction, the pilot approached the landing area into the wind. On short final, the helicopter entered an unanticipated yaw to the right. The aircraft landed hard and rolled onto its left side. The aircraft sustained substantial damage. The pilot and two passengers were uninjured. TSB File A10W0054.

— On April 18, 2010, a Cessna 185 on amphibious landing gear was taking off on Runway 14 at Salmon Arm, B.C., for a local flight. During the takeoff roll, the pilot perceived that the engine performance was below par. He noted 25 in. of manifold pressure and decided to abandon the takeoff when the aircraft had used about two-thirds of the runway. The aircraft overran the end of the runway, struck an embankment between two ditches running at right angles to the runway, and overturned. The aircraft was substantially damaged. The four occupants sustained minor injuries. TSB File A10P0096.

— On April 23, 2010, the amateur-built Diamant was about to take off from St-Tite, Que., for a flight to the Trois-Rivières, Que., airport, with the pilot and one passenger on board. After giving full throttle for takeoff, the pilot’s seat slid backward. The pilot was no longer able to press the rudder pedals and lost control of the aircraft. The aircraft veered to the right, went off the runway and stopped after hitting a tree. The occupants were not injured in the accident. The aircraft’s wings sustained major damage. The pilot’s seat was not properly fitted to the track after being lubricated. TSB File A10Q0048.

— On April 30, 2010, a privately registered Bellanca 8GCBC (Scout) was attempting to land northbound on a private field near Comox, B.C., when control was lost. The aircraft went through a fence and impacted a power pole. The left wing was torn off and the aircraft came to rest inverted in a drainage ditch. The pilot and passenger were wearing five-point harnesses and reported no injuries. TSB File A10P0108.

Date modified: