Refer to paragraph 421.05(2)(d) of the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs).
This questionnaire is for use from November 1, 2011, to October 31, 2012. Completion of this questionnaire satisfies the 24-month recurrent training program requirements of CAR 401.05(2)(a). It is to be retained by the pilot.
All pilots are to answer questions 1 to 29. In addition: aeroplane and ultra-light aeroplane pilots are to answer questions 30 and 31; glider pilots are to answer questions 32 and 33; gyroplane pilots are to answer question 34; helicopter pilots are to answer questions 35 and 36 and balloon pilots are to answer questions 37 and 38.
Note: Many answers may be found in the Transport Canada Aeronautical Information Manual (TC AIM). TC AIM references are at the end of each question. Amendments to that publication may result in changes to answers or references, or both. The TC AIM is available online at: www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/publications/tp14371-menu-3092.htm
1. What is the SECURITAS Program? ________________________________
2. VOR/VHF reception at an altitude of 1 500 ft AGL is about ________NM.
3. Secondary surveillance radar (SSR) provides positive identification and aircraft altitude only when the aircraft has an ___________________________.
4. The first transmission of a distress call should be made on the frequency ________________.
5. All FICs provide hour service and can be reached by dialling ________________________.
6. On a GFA "Clouds and Weather Chart", areas of showery or intermittent precipitation are shown as ______________________________________________.
7. On a GFA "Clouds and Weather Chart", areas of obstruction to vision not associated with precipitation, where visibility is _______ SM or less, are enclosed by a __________________________.
TAF CYJT 041136Z 0412/0512 24010KT ½ SM -SHRA -DZ FG OVC002 TEMPO
0412/0413 3SM BR OVC008 FM1300 29012G22KT P6SM SCT006 BKN015
BECMG 0422/0500 30010KT SCT020 RMK NXT FCST BY 18Z=
8. In the above TAF, what is the lowest forecast ceiling for CYJT? _____________________
9. In the above TAF, at what time could you first expect to have VFR weather conditions in the CYJT control zone? ____________________________
(MET 3.9.3, RAC 2.7.3)
10. "TEMPO" is only used on a TAF when the modified forecast condition is expected to last less than ________________ in each instance. When the modified forecast is expected to last more than ________________, either "________________" or "__________________" must be used.
11. Are the winds in GFAs, TAFs, METARs and FDs given in degrees true or magnetic? ___________________________
(MET 3.3.11; MET 3.9.3; MET 3.11; MET 3.15.3)
12. Why is a special weather report (SPECI) issued? _________________________________________________
13. A message that is intended to provide short-term warning of certain potentially hazardous weather phenomena is called a _________________________.
14. When using a dial-up remote communications outlet (DRCO), if a microphone is keyed more than ______ times, or ______, the system will not activate.
15. Besides the Designated Airspace Handbook, where could you find out if certain airspace requires a transponder? ________________________________________________
16. Which aircraft are not required to have a transponder in designated transponder airspace? ________________________. Transponder airspace includes all Class E airspace from________________ ft up to and including ____________________ ft ASL within radar coverage.
(CARs 605.35, RAC 1.9.2)
17. According to the right of way regulations (CAR 602.19), where an aircraft is in flight or manoeuvring on the surface, the pilot-in-command of the aircraft shall give way to an aircraft that is __________________________.
(RAC 1.10 & CAR 602.19)
18. To preserve the natural environment of national, provincial and municipal parks, reserves and refuges, and to minimize the disturbance to the natural habitat, overflights of these areas should not be conducted below ______________________.
19. What is the minimum distance from cloud for aircraft flying VFR in uncontrolled airspace above 1 000 ft AGL? ______________
(RAC Figure 2.7 & CAR 602.115)
20. A flight plan or flight itinerary shall be filed by sending, delivering or otherwise communicating it to the appropriate agency or person, and ________________________________.
(RAC 3.6.2 and CAR 602.75)
21. Find a copy of the Canada Flight Supplement and locate the "Planning" section (section C). In the "VFR Chart Updating Data", read the information on Conservation or Air Traffic Advisory Frequencies in your region of Canada. Record one of the topic names: _____________________
(Canada Flight Supplement)
22. For aeronautical charts covering the areas outside the more densely populated area, the topographic base maps are reviewed every _________ or _________ years and the aeronautical overlays are reviewed every _________ or _________ years.
110052 CYUL MONTREAL/MASCOUCHE
CSK3 OBST LGT U/S TOWER 454352N 732712W (APRX 6 NM E AD)
205 FT AGL 245 MSL
23. The above NOTAM was in effect until ___________________.
24. A summary of current Aeronautical Information Circulars (AIC) is kept up to date on the ________________________________________________Web site.
25. Hand-held fire extinguishers using extinguishing agents having an Underwriter's Laboratories toxicity rating in Groups ______________________ should not be installed in aircraft.
26. An altimeter setting that is too high results in an altimeter reading that is too ___________________.
27. When flying near power lines, if the background landscape does not provide sufficient ___________________________ you will not see a wire or cable.
28. A pilot should not fly for at least ___________ after donating blood.
29. As per the Survival Advisory Information in TC AIM AIR Annex 1.0, what is the suggested equipment for providing signalling in your geographic area? _______________________________
(AIR annexe 1.0)
30. A forward centre of gravity location will cause the stalling angle of attack to be reached at a __________ airspeed, while a rearward centre of gravity will cause the stalling angle of attack to be reached at a ________ airspeed.
31. To achieve a turn of the smallest radius and greatest rate for a given angle of bank, fly at the _______ possible airspeed for the angle of bank.
32. Frequency ______ MHz is allocated for the use of soaring activities.
33. The breaking strength of a glider tow rope must be more than ____% and less than ____% of the gross weight of the glider been towed.
34. When operating at low level into a strong head wind at a reduced airspeed, a 180º turn to fly downwind could be potentially dangerous because of the _____________________________.
35. Settling with power is most likely to occur due to poor management of the helicopter's _____________________.
36. What type of aerodynamic interference, which can result in a loss of tail rotor effectiveness, is most likely to occur when the wind is coming from a relative angle between 285º and 315º? __________________________
37. When a balloon climbs from cold calm air through an inversion, what should the pilot expect in terms of performance? ______________________
38. The first action to stop an uncontrolled fuel leak or fire should be to ____________________________________.