Accident Synopses

Note: The following accident synopses are Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB) Class 5 events, which occurred between May 1, 2011, and July 31, 2011. These occurrences do not meet the criteria of classes 1 through 4, and are recorded by the TSB for possible safety analysis, statistical reporting, or archival purposes. The narratives may have been updated by the TSB since publication. For more information on any individual event, please contact the TSB.

— On May 2, 2011, a Grumman Goose G-21A was on a take-off run at the Owikeno airstrip near Rivers Inlet, about 80 NM northwest of Port Hardy, B.C., when the pilot lost directional control. The aircraft turned 90° to the airstrip and collided with a ditch/embankment. The aircraft nose/bow was damaged. TSB File A11P0080.

— On May 5, 2011, a Cessna 172M with four people on board departed from Burlington Airpark (CZBA), Ont., for a local sightseeing flight with a planned duration of approximately 20–30 min. Halfway through the flight, the pilot noticed that the fuel gauges were indicating that the tank was empty and elected to return to CZBA. Approximately 6–7 mi. southeast of the field, the engine stopped and the pilot initiated a forced landing. The aircraft touched down near the end of the selected field. Its right wing struck the trees bordering the field, after which the aircraft spun 180° and came to a rest. The pilot and three passengers were uninjured, but the wings and aircraft empennage were significantly damaged. TSB File A11O0063.

— On May 8, 2011, an amateur-built Zenair CH200 was conducting circuits on Runway 09 at the Peterborough airport (CYPQ). The airplane was configured with full flap. The airplane touched down at approximately 70 mph on the main gear, with full flap and carrying some power. It bounced and began to porpoise. Full power was applied to overshoot; as a result, the airplane pitched nose-up. Since the pitch trim control was on the same side as the throttle, the pilot was unable to apply nose-down trim soon enough to prevent the airplane from stalling. Nose-down elevator control was available but was not fully applied. The left wing dropped in the stall, and the airplane struck the ground and came to a stop in the grass about 50 ft off the left side of the runway. The nose landing gear collapsed, and the wing outer panels suffered propeller and impact damage. The pilot was wearing a four-point harness and was uninjured. TSB File A11O0066.

— On May 15, 2011, a privately owned, float-equipped Cessna 185 took off on a VFR flight from Sainte-Anne-du-Lac, Que., to Marina Venise, Que., with three people on board. At approximately 10 NM north of the Mirabel airport, the engine (Continental IO-520-D) stopped at 1 500 ft ASL. In the moments that followed, the aircraft started to spin. The pilot was able to come out of the spin and conducted a forced landed. Upon landing, the aircraft struck a camper before stopping on its back. The occupants sustained minor injuries. When the engine was subsequently inspected, water was found in the gas pump. TSB File A11Q0093.

— On May 16, 2011, an Aerospatiale AS350 BA helicopter was bucketing water to support firefighting operations near Meadow Lake, Sask. The winds were gusting from the southeast at 20-30 kt. The pilot was flying slowly just above treetop level to dump a load of water on a fire break area when the nose of the helicopter suddenly swung to the left. The pilot increased power, but the rotation also increased. The pilot reduced power and lowered the collective. The helicopter entered the trees and came to rest on its right side; the tail boom separated from the helicopter. The pilot was transported to the Meadow Lake Hospital and kept overnight for observation. TSB File A11C0076.

— On May 23, 2011, a Bell 206B helicopter was conducting slinging operations at an oil field well site approximately 50 NM east of Slave Lake, Alta. The slung load conflicted with structures at the well site and the helicopter collided with the ground. The pilot, who was the sole occupant, sustained serious injuries. Two TSB investigators from the Edmonton office were deployed to the site. TSB File A11W0069.

— On May 23, 2011, a Bell 206B helicopter was on a VFR flight from Lake Berthelot, Que., to Mirabel, Que., when it crashed in a forest approximately 20 NM northwest of l’Ascension, Que. Both occupants were seriously injured and were evacuated by land. The emergency locator transmitter (ELT) went off following the crash. Foggy conditions were prevalent in the region at the time of the accident. TSB File A11Q0099.

— On May 29, 2011, a Bell 206B helicopter was conducting a low-level pipeline survey 5 NM east of Loon River, Alta., when the aircraft struck an unmarked wire conduit. The pilot was able to conduct an emergency landing near the site. The main rotor blades were significantly damaged. The pilot and passenger were uninjured. TSB File A11W0076.

— On June 3, 2011, a privately registered Cessna 180 was attempting to take off from the water at Bedwell Harbour, B.C. (CAB3). The pilot reported that the aircraft yawed dramatically, which caused one wing to strike the water and consequently flipped the aircraft over into the water. The pilot and the only other occupant had read and used Transport Canada’s (TC) seaplane safety literature to complete their preflight briefing. They were both able to escape with little or no injury; however, they were not wearing personal floatation devices (PFDs) and were unable to retrieve any before exiting the aircraft. They were rescued quickly by nearby boaters. TSB File A11P0093.

— On June 5, 2011, an Ecureuil AS 350 BA helicopter was on a flight to study aquatic fauna (water fowl). While the aircraft was flying at 30 kt at an altitude of 20 ft, a noise was heard, followed by vibrations. The pilot noticed that the speed of the Ariel 1B engine’s gas generator (Ng) had fluctuated. While the pilot was guiding the helicopter towards the shore for a precautionary landing, the aircraft experienced a total loss of power. The aircraft struck the surface of the water hard and came to rest on its left side, half submerged. The three occupants were able to egress and head to the shore. They sustained minor injuries and were rescued by another of the operator’s helicopters. The aircraft was equipped with a 406 MHz emergency locator transmitter (ELT). The Joint Rescue Coordination Centre (JRCC) received a signal indicating that the transmitter had gone off without any information as to the location of the transmitter. The engine will be checked by an expert under the supervision of a TSB investigator. TSB File A11Q0102.

— On June 8, 2011, a privately operated, float-equipped Cessna 180E was departing for a VFR flight from Balsam Lake, Ont. Shortly after it became airborne, the airplane descended, struck the water, and came to rest inverted. At the time, a severe thunderstorm was rapidly approaching, and it reportedly caused sudden strong and gusty wind conditions and white caps on the water. The pilot, who was the sole occupant of the airplane, did not exit the aircraft and suffered fatal injuries. The airplane was substantially damaged. TSB investigators were deployed to the scene. TSB File A11O0085.

— On June 24, 2011, a Robinson Raven II helicopter was on a ferry flight from Québec (CYQB) to Lake Deborah, approximately 50 NM north of Schefferville (CYKL). Upon arrival, the pilot conducted a 360° turn over the landing area, which consisted of logs, over which the skids had to be placed perpendicularly. Once the circuit was completed, the aircraft descended and appeared to skid to the left. It started turning right, continued to descend, and crashed approximately 350 ft northwest of the landing area on land where a few trees grew. The passenger was killed and the pilot sustained serious but non-life threatening injuries. TSB File A11Q0115.

— On June 27, 2011, a Canadian-registered Hughes 500D helicopter landed on a mountaintop helipad 65 NM east of Ambler, Alaska. Shortly after the aircraft landed, the four passengers exited and walked away while the pilot kept the helicopter running to cool down the engine. The pilot then exited the helicopter to look under it and verify that the landing skids’ bear paws were both securely placed on the supporting timber. The helicopter slipped and tipped backwards until it came to rest on the tail stinger. The tail rotor struck the ground, one of its blades came off, and the tail rotor stopped turning. The engine was still driving the main rotor. The pilot reached into the cockpit and shut down the helicopter. There were no injuries, but the helicopter was substantially damaged. TSB File A11F0132.

— On June 27, 2011, a float-equipped Cessna 185 was landing at Theriau Lake, Sask., with the pilot and one passenger on board. Shortly after touchdown, the aircraft veered to the left and then overturned. The pilot, who was wearing a shoulder harness, and the passenger, who was wearing a seat belt, were able to egress from the aircraft. With the help of personal floatation devices (PFDs), they swam to shore, where they lit a fire and spent the night. When the aircraft did not arrive at its destination, company personnel advised dispatch that the aircraft was overdue. Due to darkness, a search for the aircraft began the next morning. The pilot and passenger were found early the next morning and transported to Points North Landing, Sask. Both the pilot and passenger sustained minor injuries and the aircraft was substantially damaged. It was reported that the bottom skin of the left float exhibited a large rectangular tear consistent with collision with a submerged log. TSB File A11C0099.

— On July 1, 2011, a de Havilland DHC2 Beaver was departing from Lake Lillabelle, Ont., for Stringer Lake, Ont. Approximately 3 NM north of the departure point, the engine (Pratt & Whitney R-985) started to make unusual clacking sounds, which were quickly followed by a complete failure. The pilot completed a forced landing in the most suitable spot, which was a swampy area near a small stream. Upon touchdown, the aircraft’s floats struck several obstacles that were on or just beneath the surface of the water, causing extensive damage to the floats and float struts. The aircraft came to rest with one wing and part of the empennage in the water. The pilot and occupants were uninjured. TSB File A11O0106.

— On July 1, 2011, a float-equipped Champion 7AC was on a VFR flight from Rivière Metabetchouan, Que., to Lake La Bouille, Que. The sky was clear upon departure, and the weather for the day was expected to be VFR. The trip was to take approximately 3 h 45 min. At about 45 min from destination, there was morning fog over the lakes, which became extended over land. The pilot decided to land on a lake to wait for the morning fog to dissipate. While the pilot was descending towards the lake and manoeuvring in fog to land, the aircraft struck the trees and flipped over. The pilot sustained minor injuries. The passenger was not hurt. The occupants retrieved the survival equipment and confirmed that the 406 ELT was on. SAR located and evacuated the occupants approximately 4 h after the occurrence. The aircraft was substantially damaged. TSB File A11Q0120.

— On July 3, 2011, a privately operated Robinson R44 II helicopter was on approach to land near Carievale, Sask., when the helicopter collided with a power line. The pilot conducted a precautionary landing and determined that the rotor system had sustained substantial damage. The pilot was not injured. TSB File A11C0107.

— On July 4, 2011, a Robinson R44 helicopter was on a VFR flight en route from Baie Comeau, Que., to Havre St-Pierre (CYGV), Que. The weather deteriorated to instrument meteorological conditions (IMC) and the pilot declared an emergency due to a low fuel situation. The aircraft was directed to a location near CYGV and above the St. Lawrence River. The pilot chose to descend in cloud and quickly lost control of the helicopter. Mast bumping occurred. VFR was regained a few hundred feet above the water, 1 NM from CYGV. The pilot landed normally at CYGV. Damage to the main rotor head was visible after the aircraft was inspected. TSB File A11Q0126.

— On July 4, 2011, a Cessna 305 flew from Hawkesbury, Ont. (CNV4), to St-André d’Avellin, Que., to retrieve a glider that had landed at the abandoned airfield there earlier in the day. Permission to land and retrieve the glider from the present owner of the abandoned airfield was obtained prior to departure. Upon landing on the asphalt surface, the aircraft ground-looped. As a result, the left wing touched the ground, the propeller was damaged and the left main gear collapsed. The pilot was not injured. TSB File A11Q0123.

— On July 5, 2011, an Ayres S-2R was applying fungicide to a field when the aircraft collided with a tower guy wire. The aircraft came to rest upright and the pilot exited with minor injuries. The collision and post-impact fire destroyed the aircraft. TSB File A11C0105.

— On July 10, 2011, a privately registered, float-equipped Cessna U206F was flying from Dorothy Lake, Man., to Lac du Bonnet, Man., for fuel. All the aircraft’s fuel was in the right tank and the fuel selector was set to “right”. While the pilot was completing a right turn after takeoff, the engine lost power. The pilot completed a forced landing in a wooded area. The aircraft sustained substantial damage, but the pilot was not injured. TSB File A11C0110.

— On July 28, 2011, an amphibious de Havilland DHC-3T (turbine) was landing at Kabania Lake, Ont., after taking off from Pickle Lake, Ont. The landing gear remained extended during the flight after the aircraft departed from the Pickle Lake airport. Upon touchdown, the aircraft nosed down and overturned. Both crew members were wearing four-point harnesses and were not injured. They exited the aircraft and were picked up by boat by personnel from a nearby outpost camp. The aircraft sustained substantial damage. TSB File A11C0124.

— On July 28, 2011, an advanced ultralight Norman Aviation J6 Kanatoo was conducting touch-and-gos on a runway in the Lake De Montigny, Que., region. During the initial climb, a gust of wind pushed the aircraft towards the lake, and the pilot was not able to regain control of it in time. The aircraft crashed in the lake. There were no injuries, and the aircraft was significantly damaged. TSB File A11Q0143.

— On July 28, 2011, an advanced ultralight Titan Tornado II was on a VFR flight in the Sainte-Marie-Madeleine, Que., region. During the initial climb, the Rotax 503 engine lost power at approximately 200 ft AGL. The pilot attempted to land on the runway, but he chose to overrun the runway on the right side given the high speed of the aircraft and the presence of a road. The pilot, who was the only person aboard the aircraft, was not injured, and the aircraft was significantly damaged. TSB File A11Q0145.

Date modified: