9.6 APRON MANAGEMENT SERVICE
184.108.40.206 Recommendation - When warranted by the volume of traffic and operating conditions, an appropriate apron management service should be provided on an apron by an ATS unit, by another aerodrome operating authority, jointly by ATS and the aerodrome operator, or operator in the case of a company terminal, in order to:
- regulate movement with the objective of preventing collisions between aircraft, and between aircraft and obstacles;
- regulate entry of aircraft into, and coordinate exit of aircraft from, the apron with the aerodrome control tower; and
- ensure safe and expeditious movement of vehicles and appropriate regulation of other activities.
220.127.116.11 Recommendation - When the aerodrome control tower does not participate in the apron management service, procedures should be established to facilitate the orderly transition of aircraft between the apron management unit and the aerodrome control tower.
Note - Guidance on an apron management service is given in the;
- ICAO Airport Services Manual, Part8; and
- ICAO Manual of Surface Movement Guidance and Control Systems (SMGCS).
18.104.22.168 Standard - An apron management service shall be provided with radiotelephony communications facilities.
22.214.171.124 Standard - Where low visibility procedures are in effect, persons and vehicles operating on an apron shall be restricted to the essential minimum.
Note - Guidance on related special procedures is given in the ICAO Manual of Surface Movement Guidance and Control Systems (SMGCS).
126.96.36.199 Standard - An emergency vehicle responding to an emergency shall be given priority over all other surface movement traffic.
188.8.131.52 Standard - A vehicle operating on an apron shall:
- give way to an emergency vehicle; an aircraft taxiing, about to taxi, or being pushed or towed; and
- give way to other vehicles in accordance with local regulations.
184.108.40.206 Standard - An aircraft stand shall be visually monitored to ensure that the recommended clearances distances are provided to an aircraft using the stand.
- Date modified: