3.8Transport Canada Inspector Responsibility
Transport Canada (Regional), Commercial and Business Aviation is responsible for vetting the Regional air operator's MEL with respect to the operations functions and procedures. Transport Canada, Airline Inspection Division is responsible for vetting the National Air operators MEL with respect to the operations functions and procedures. These positions ensure that all of the operational procedures produced and published by the air operator are relevant to the required task. The POI or MEL Coordinator is normally tasked as a contact for the air operator, and is responsible for the administration of all MEL operations issues for that air operator.
3.8.2 Maintenance and Manufacturing (M&M)
Transport Canada (Regional) M&M is responsible for vetting the air operator's MEL with respect to the maintenance functions and procedures, and ensuring that all of the maintenance procedures produced and published by the air operator are relevant to the required task. A Regional PMI or MEL Co-ordinator is normally tasked as a contact for the air operator, and is responsible for the administration of all MEL maintenance issues for that air operator.
- Both TCCA Operations and M&M personnel must concur prior to an approval being granted for an air operator's MEL application.
3.8.3 Transport Canada MEL Approval Time
Provided that the air operator submits a MEL or MEL amendment that complies with the MMEL/MEL Policy and Procedures Manual (TP 9155), Transport Canada will endeavor to approve regulatory related submissions of the document within 60 days. The 60 day time limit does not apply to discretionary changes. A sample format for the letter of approval is found in AppendixK.
Transport Canada will not grant an air operator interim approval while the MEL is undergoing the review process, nor will approval be given to use a MMEL as a MEL.
3.8.5MEL Distribution and Effectivity
An approved or revised MEL is deemed to be in force upon receipt from Transport Canada. However, the air operator may have 10 calendar days or as specified in the air operator's approved system, (if necessary) to distribute and implement the new document. In all cases, copies are required for:
- each aircraft;
- Senior Company Official - Maintenance;
- Senior Company Official -Operations;
- Dispatch (if applicable);
- Maintenance Coordinator (or equivalent);
- any other personnel as required;
- the Transport Canada Centre Library or Regional Office Library.
It is the air operator's responsibility to ensure that their MEL is reviewed and updated as required. The MEL shall be reviewed by the air operator at least annually to ensure that it incorporates any changes to the operation, aircraft or to the Canadian Aviation Regulations. A revision to the MMEL, or TC Supplement will require that the air operator review and amend their MEL, as necessary. The MEL development, processing and approval procedures should be reviewed as part of the air operator's quality assurance program.
3.8.7GMEL/MEL Amendments/TC Notifications
Amendments to MELs and GMELs will be handled according to the process outlined in this document for initial approval. To ensure that they are updated as required, MMEL/TC Supplement revisions and the "Status of Current MMEL" list will be posted on the on the MMEL/MEL web page. (See AppendixT)
Where a MMEL revision or TC Supplement is more restrictive, the air operator must submit an appropriate amendment to the MEL for approval within 60 days following the posting date of the MMEL revision or TC Supplement on the MMEL/MEL web page.
- Where an O&M Procedures Manual, DDPG, DPG or equivalent document is available; or where a MMEL revision does not affect a procedure, the time for MEL amendment remains at 60 days, following the MMEL/MEL web page posting of the MMEL revision or TC Supplement. Where a O&M Procedures Manual, DDPG, DPG or equivalent document is not available; or where the MMEL revision affects a procedure, the MEL amendment time is 120 days following the posting on the MMEL/MEL web page of the MMEL revision or TC Supplement.
- Date modified: