1.10. Aircraft Control
- Record of Amendments
- Chapter 1
- Chapter 2
- Chapter 3
- Chapter 4
- Chapter 5
- Chapter 6
- Chapter 7
- Chapter 8
- Chapter 9
- Chapter 10
Also available in
PDF and RTF Formats
- General — It is absolutely essential that during all phases of ground and flight operation, all flight crewmembers clearly understand which pilot has control and is therefore the Pilot Flying (PF). In most cases it is quite obvious which pilot is the PF. However, during some phases of flight and, in particular, during some emergency situations, it is not so apparent. Such situations are discussed in the relevant areas of the SOPs. For situations not covered in the SOPs the Captain shall specifically advise the flight crew of who is the PF. Whenever control is passed from one pilot to the other, the pilot relinquishing control must provide the pilot assuming control with any relevant aircraft performance information. Such information could include current or target altitude, airspeed, heading, autopilot status, and navigation status.
- Assumption of Control — The Captain may assume control at any time. When advised that the Captain is assuming control the FO shall relinquish control immediately. Notwithstanding the previous, the FO shall assume control when necessary to protect the safety of the aircraft. It may be necessary for the FO to take control to avoid collision when there is inadequate time to properly communicate the requirement to the Captain or due to pilot incapacitation.
Transfer of Control - PF Initiated — When the PF initiates transfer of control the following procedure shall be used:
- the pilot relinquishing control will say "You have control";
- the pilot relinquishing control will retain control until;
- the pilot assuming control says "I have control."
Transfer of Control - PNF Initiated — When the PNF initiates transfer of control the following procedure shall be used:
- the pilot assuming control will say "I have control";
- the pilot relinquishing control will say "You have control" and will release control.
- Date modified: