Conversion agreement between U.S. and Canadian officials

Canadian pilots who hold Private, Commercial or Airline Transport Pilot licences in the aeroplane category can convert those licences into FAA Certificates with greater ease than was possible in the past. Similarly, American pilots who hold equivalent aeroplane pilot certificates can now convert those certificates into Canadian licences with greater ease because of an agreement between US and Canadian aviation licensing authorities. This agreement applies to aeroplane pilot licences, instrument ratings and aeroplane type ratings. Please see the agreement as signed by U.S. and Canadian officials.

Advisory Circular and Staff Instructions

NewTransport Canada has introduced a new “Aviation Document Booklet” that will contain all holders licensing documents. The new booklet will require that each applicant converting a FAA licence to a Canadian licence shall complete a brief booklet application form to confirm personal information and submit a passport-style photograph for identification purposes.

For licence conversion agreement requirements, please see the Advisory Circular and the Staff Instruction for Conversion of FAA Pilot Certificates

For more information on the Aviation Document Booklet, please visit the web site at:

Conversion process / Medical Examination / Application

NOTICE: For questions pertaining to the conversion of FAA pilot certificates to Canadian pilot licences or to forward your application, please contact a Transport Canada Regional Licensing Offices closest to your proposed Canadian destination (See table below)

Pilots wishing to take advantage of this conversion opportunity to obtain a Canadian pilot licence or rating should follow these steps:

  • First -- undergo a medical examination with a Canadian Civil Aviation Medical Examiner
  • Second -- once you receive your Canadian Medical Certificate file number, complete and submit the Application for Verification and Conversion of an FAA Pilot Certificate form to your closest Transport Canada Regional Licensing office or the Transport Canada Regional Licensing office of your proposed Canadian destination.
  • Next --when we receive this application, we will confirm with the FAA details of your US certificate so we can proceed with the application. This process could take up to 90 days.
  • Lastly – While we are verifying your certificate status with the FAA, you need to prepare for the applicable examinations for each licence or rating being applied for. The examinations are based on Air Law and Procedures and questions are orientated to highlight differences between the US and Canada.

Once you are ready to take the examination, you should schedule an appointment with the Transport Canada regional office to complete the written examination. When you are speaking with our Licensing specialists, they will be able to outline any further steps you may need to take to complete the process, for example, submission of new licence booklet requirements, fees, and examination requirements.

Transport Canada will then proceed to issue your licence or rating based on this conversion process.

General Aviation Regional Licensing Offices

Please contact a General Aviation Regional Licensing Offices closest to your proposed Canadian destination.

Moncton Office
Transport Canada
95 Foundry St.,
6th floor
PO Box 42
Moncton, N.B.
E1C 8K6
Tel: 1-800-305-2059
Fax: 1-855-726-7495
Vancouver Office
Transport Canada
800 Burrard St.
Suite 620
Vancouver, B.C.
V6Z 2J8
Tel: 604-666-5571
Fax: 604-666-3750
Dorval Office
Transport Canada
700 Leigh Capréol
Suite 2033
Dorval, Quebec
H4Y 1G7
Tel: 514-633-3863
Fax: 514-633-3585
Toronto Office
Transport Canada
4900 Yonge St.
Suite 400
Toronto, Ontario
M2N 6A5
Tel: 416-952-0215
Fax: 416-952-0196
Winnipeg Office
Transport Canada
344 Edmonton St.
PO Box 8550
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R3C 0P6
Tel: 204-983-4341
Fax: 204-984-2069
Edmonton Office
Transport Canada 9700 Jasper Ave, Suite 1100
Edmonton, Alberta
T5J 4E6
Tel.: 780-495-2764
Fax: 780-495-7449