Engagement opportunity: marine safety and security regulations
Current status: Open
This is an opportunity to attend meetings of the Canadian Marine Advisory Council (CMAC) and share your views on marine safety and security.
The opportunity is open to government, the marine industry, unions and the general public.
You are invited to comment on changes to marine safety and security regulations by attending regional or national meetings of the CMAC.
The CMAC represents parties with an interest in shipping, navigation and marine pollution concerns. We advise the government on issues and opportunities related to marine safety and security, and release reports each year based on our findings.
Five regional CMAC meetings take place in the Pacific, Ontario, Quebec, Atlantic, and Prairie and Northern regions. The national CMAC meeting is held in Ottawa and is made up of committees and working groups.
- For topics and issues we address in these meetings, read about our nine CMAC standing committees
- For changes to regulations that affect marine transportation, see Recently published marine regulations
CMAC standing committees
Standing Committee on Construction and Equipment
This committee discusses topics involving:
- lifesaving and fire equipment
- structural and electrical requirements
- load lines
Standing Committee on Domestic Vessel Regulatory Oversight
This committee discusses regulations, policies and initiatives related to the inspection and certification of Canadian non-pleasure vessels of all sizes.
Standing Committee on the Environment
This committee discusses environmental issues facing the marine sector in Canada, with a focus on Transport Canada’s regulatory program. Issues include:
- pollution prevention
- environmental response
- compensation and liabilities
- ballast water management
- transfer of invasive species
- climate change
Standing Committee on Fishing Vessel Safety
This committee discusses topics that involve:
- design, construction, operation, compliance and crewing
- certification and training requirements for crew
Standing Committee on Maritime Labour Standards
This committee was formed to address recent changes to the:
- Maritime Labour Convention, 2006
- Marine Occupational Safety and Health Regulations
- Canada Labour Code
- Non-smokers’ Health Act
Standing Committee on Marine Security
This committee discusses marine transportation system security. It advises the federal government on domestic and international marine security initiatives.
Standing Committee on Navigation and Operations
This committee discusses:
- navigation safety
- ship radio communications
- cargo and ship operations
Standing Committee on Personnel
This committee discusses:
- crewing and certification
- schools and training for marine personnel
- medical examination requirements for marine personnel
Standing Committee on Recreational Boating
This committee discusses specific topics on recreational boating.
How to participate
There are two ways to participate in this engagement opportunity:
- Attend a CMAC meeting. Register using the When and where section below.
- Send your proposed agenda items to the CMAC Secretariat by email or mail.
- All agenda submissions must include the reason for your submission and a detailed explanation of the agenda item you would like to include
- We will accept your proposed agenda items up to six weeks before national and regional CMAC meetings
- Late submissions will be added in a future agenda
You may also send us a request to receive updates on CMAC and to be added to the CMAC Secretariat stakeholder list.
When and where
We hold national and regional CMAC meetings each year.
|December 5 to 7, 2017||Ontario||
National CMAC meeting
Shaw Centre, Ottawa
|October 4 , 2017||Ontario||Hamilton||Status: Closed
Ontario Regional CMAC
|November 15 & 16, 2017||Nunavut
PNR Regional CMAC
|Send me info|
|March 16, 2017||Nova Scotia||Halifax||
Atlantic Regional CMAC
Recently published marine regulations
Read about changes to marine safety and security–related regulations published in the Canada Gazette in the last two years.
- For a full list of recently published changes to transportation regulations, also see Recently in the Canada Gazette
Canada Gazette – Part I
- Arctic Shipping Safety and Pollution Prevention Regulations – July 1, 2017
- Regulations Amending the Vessel Operation Restriction Regulations – July 1, 2017
- Regulations Amending Certain Regulations Made under the Canada Labour Code – June 10, 2017
- Regulations Amending the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations (Marine Provisions) – April 1, 2017
- Regulations Amending the Great Lakes Pilotage Tariff Regulations – March 11, 2017
- Amendments to the Pacific Pilotage Tariff Regulations – February 18, 2017
- Regulations Amending Certain Regulations Made Under the Canada Labour Code – December 24, 2016
- Regulations Respecting Compulsory Insurance for Ships Carrying Passengers – December 24, 2016
- Regulations Amending the Atlantic Pilotage Tariff Regulations, 1996 – December 3, 2016
- Regulations Amending the Vessel Operation Restriction Regulations – April 2, 2016
- Regulations Amending the Great Lakes Pilotage Tariff Regulations and Making a Related Amendment – February 13, 2016
- Regulations Amending the Small Fishing Vessel Inspection Regulations – February 6, 2016
- Vessel Fire Safety Regulations – February 6, 2016
- Regulations Amending the Pacific Pilotage Tariff Regulations – January 9, 2016
Canada Gazette – Part II
- Regulations Amending the Vessel Operation Restriction Regulations – June 28, 2017
- Regulations Amending the Schedule to the Canada Marine Act – May 3, 2017
- Regulations Amending the Laurentian Pilotage Tariff Regulations – April 29, 2017
- Vessel Fire Safety Regulations – February 22, 2017
- Regulations Amending the Ballast Water Control and Management Regulations – February 22, 2017
- Regulations Amending the Pacific Pilotage Tariff Regulations – December 28, 2016
- Regulations Amending the Vessel Operation Restriction Regulations – October 19, 2016
- Regulations Amending the Small Fishing Vessel Inspection Regulations – July 13, 2016
- Regulations Amending the Atlantic Pilotage Tariff Regulations – Newfoundland and Labrador Non-Compulsory Areas – July 13, 2016
- Regulations Amending the Great Lakes Pilotage Tariff Regulations and Making a Related Amendment – May 18, 2016
- Regulations Amending the Atlantic Pilotage Authority Regulations – March 23, 2016
- Regulations Amending the Atlantic Pilotage Tariff Regulations, 1996 – March 23, 2016
Contact the Canadian Marine Advisory Council
Transport Canada, Marine Safety and Security
330 Sparks Street
Tower C, 11th floor
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N8
- Date modified: