Lac-Mégantic Bypass

Government of Canada's Contribution

The Government of Canada confirmed on May 11, 2018, that it would fund 60% of the construction costs of the Lac-Mégantic bypass. Quebec will fund the other 40%.

The project will be managed by the Central Maine & Quebec Railway (CMQR), which will own the bypass.

Why this route?

The choice of the final route is based on numerous studies undertaken as part of a feasibility study, and the recommendation put forward in the results of Phase 1B, namely, a 12.8 km route estimated at $133 M.

The following criteria were used for the comparative analysis:

  • Technical characteristics (geometry of the track and grading)
  • Human environment (proximity of the route to buildings and communities passed through)
  • Land planning (acquisition of permanent right-of-ways, land affected and fragmented)
  • Natural environment (crossing of watercourses and wetlands)
  • Level crossings
  • Engineering works (necessary structures) and culverts

The route selected removes the rail right-of-way from downtown Lac-Mégantic and reduces the number of buildings near the railway.

Acquisition of Property

The Government of Canada will have to acquire 82 properties, mostly plots of land, to complete the Lac-Mégantic Bypass Project. Transport Canada has mandated Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC) to acquire these properties through over-the-counter negotiations.

PSPC will contact the affected owners when the procurement process begins and they will be invited to attend an information session where they can obtain the necessary details.

Next Steps

The Government of Canada will continue to work with all involved including the Government of Quebec, municipalities and CMQR to complete construction of the bypass. The next steps in the project will be:

  1. Final preliminary draft (AECOM)
  2. Plans and specifications
  3. Construction (over two seasons) managed by CMQR
  4. Decommissioning

If you have any questions about the bypass project, please contact TC.InfoLacMegantic.TC@tc.gc.ca

Lac-Mégantic Bypass Map

Lac-Mégantic Bypass Map

Related links

Date modified: