Bulletin No.: 13/2007
RDIMS No.: 3642844
Date (Y-M-D): 2007-12-07
Subject: Security Clearance Enrolment Process for Seafarers
This bulletin provides information with respect to the enrolment process for seafarers requesting a security clearance.
Transport Canada Marine Safety (TCMS) will be sponsoring and enrolling seafarers voluntarily applying for a security clearance.
Part 5, Section 503 of the Marine Transportation Security Regulation identifies the requirement to be a holder of a security clearance when accessing restricted areas (R2) of designated ports.
The Marine Transportation Security Clearance Program is being implemented using a phased approach:
- Phase I on December 15, 2007 with the ports of Vancouver, North Fraser, Fraser River, Montreal, Seaway (St. Lambert and Welland) and Halifax
- Phase II on December 15, 2008 with the ports of St. John’s, Saint John, Quebec, Toronto, Hamilton, Windsor, Prince Rupert and Victoria.
TCMS offices located in Vancouver (BC), St. Catharines (ON), Montreal (QC), Dartmouth (NS) and St. John’s (NL) will be processing seafarer applications for a ‘Transportation Security Clearance’. TCMS will sponsor seafarers, and on behalf of the Minister, will enrol seafarers voluntarily applying for a security clearance.
Seafarers applying for a security clearance will simultaneously apply for an updated Seafarers’ Identity Document (SID).
The security clearance and the SID will be issued with a synchronized expiry date of five years based on the date of granting of the security clearance.
Application for Transportation Security Clearance
- Seafarers are encouraged to apply for a security clearance at one of the enrolment sites named below.
- The application form is available at the following Transport Canada website: http://www.tc.gc.ca/tsc. This is a user-friendly application process that ensures that the applicant provides all required information before the completed application can be printed. NOTE: It is recommended to use this application process.
- The application form in hard copy is also available at all TCMS offices.
- An appointment should be scheduled with the enrolment site.
- The completed application form and supporting documentation must be taken to one of the enrolment sites for sign-off by sponsor and applicant enrolment.
Supporting Documentation Required for Enrolment
- federal or provincial government issued photo identification document
passport (current or invalid, if indicated as “yes” on the application);
persons born in Canada – a Canadian Birth Certificate;
- persons born outside of Canada – a Certificate of Citizenship, a Certificate of Naturalization or a Permanent Resident Card
800 Burrard Street, Suite 400
Tel : 604-666-0834
Fax : 604-666-9177
43 Church Street, 7th Floor
St. Catharines, ON
800 René-Lévesque Blvd Ouest, Suite 620
Tel : 514-283-7056
Fax : 514-283-6595
45 Alderney Street
Queen Square, 14th floor
10 Barter’s Hill, 9th Floor
Cabot Building, 2nd Tower, PO Box 1300
St. John’s, NL
Seafarer Identity Document (SID)
A SID issued in conformity with the “International Labour Convention No. 108 (C-108), Convention on Seafarers’ Identity Documents (SID)”, will include a uniquely identifiable control number distinguishing a security clearance, where applicable.
The SID will be issued once the security clearance has been granted.
Additional Documentation Required to Issue an Updated SID
- two (2) passport photos (maximum size of 11/4” w x 11/2” h) bearing the applicant’s signature
- proof of authenticated employment if the applicant has not been issued with a Canadian Maritime Document (ie. Certificate of Competency, Discharge Book, or SID).
NOTE: Proof of employment will be a letter, on company letterhead, signed by the authorized representative of the vessel, a seafarer recruitment and placement service or a seafarer’s union stating that an offer of employment has been made.
Security Clearance – There will be no fee associated with the “Application for Transportation Security Clearance”.
SID – $20 fee for the issuance of a SID, as established under the “Tariff of Fees for Shipping Masters” applies.
To access the Portable Document Format (PDF) version you must have a PDF reader installed. If you do not already have such a reader, there are numerous PDF readers available for free download or for purchase on the Internet:
Keywords: Questions concerning this bulletin should be addressed to:
2. Security Clearance Enrolment Process
3. Seafarer's Identity Document (SID)
Tower C, Place de Ville
11th Floor, 330 Sparks Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N8
To add or change your address, contact us at: email@example.com
Owners of commercial vessels, registered and licensed, automatically receive Bulletins.
- Date modified: