Manufacturers and Importers of Small Vessels
Regulatory Emission Requirements for Manufacturing Small Vessels and Engines in Canada or for the Importation of Small Vessels and Engines into Canada
- CEPA Environmental Registry
- Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999 - Part 7: Controlling Pollution and Managing Wastes - Division 5: Vehicle, Engine and Equipment Emissions
- Marine Spark-Ignition Engine, Vessel and Off-Road Recreational Vehicle Emission Regulations (SOR/2011-10)
The manufacturer*, builder, rebuilder or importer of any small vessel shall ensure that:
- A vessel that is propelled or designed to be propelled by a motor and is built or imported for sale or use in Canada, complies with all the applicable construction requirements of the Small Vessel Regulations (part 7) and the Construction Standard for Small Vessels.
- For any vessel** built or imported for sale in Canada, that is propelled or designed to be propelled by a motor, a Declaration of Conformity*** is produced in accordance with the Small Vessel Regulations (Part 8) stating that the vessel meets all the construction requirements and that a Compliance Notice is attached to the vessel.
- A vessel built or imported for sale in Canada is marked with a Hull Serial Number (HIN) (also known as a Hull Identification Number) in accordance with the Small Vessel Regulations (Part 9).
* When only “manufacturer” is used in the text it also includes the builder or rebuilder.
** Does not include vessels built or imported for personal use or open vessels of traditional construction using wood or other traditional materials or, in the case of a canoe, using glass-reinforced plastic. If such vessels are mass-produced or can be fitted with an inboard or a stern-drive engine, they must comply with the construction requirements.
*** The requirement to produce a Declaration of Conformity and to attach a Compliance Notice to a vessel other than a pleasure craft is mandatory as of April 29, 2011. Until that date it is recommended but not mandatory.
- Date modified: