Vessels of 0 to 15 Gross Tonnage
Am I in the right place?
You’re in the right place if your vessel:
- is not used solely for commercial fishing or for pleasure;
- is not more than 15 gross tonnage; and,
- does not carry more than 12 passengers.
If you do not carry passengers, but your vessel is used for non-pleasure purposes and is not more than 15 gross tons, this page is also for you.
What do I need to know about this type of vessel?
- New technology and evolving industry standards are two factors that directly impact marine legislation. Taking a modern approach to safety requires regulations, standards and policies be updated regularly to reflect such industry components. Making sure that you are aware of any changes in regulation will help you remain compliant. Check What’s New? for recent changes or consult the current Regulations to determine the requirements for your vessel.
- Whether you are an experienced mariner or just starting out, there is additional information available to you. The Small Commercial Vessel Safety Guide is a helpful tool for enhancing education and awareness of matters pertaining to small vessels, particularly those less than 15 gross tons. The Guide provides general information and lists some of the core regulations you will need to comply with if you operate a vessel in this category such as:
Getting ready to set sail
Some core regulations and standards pertaining to this vessel category:
Construction/ Life-Saving Equipment
- TP 14619 - Transport Canada Simplified Assessment of Intact Stability & Buoyancy of Small Non-Pleasure Vessels: Assessment Guide 14619 - Transport Canada Simplified Assessment of Intact Stability & Buoyancy of Small Non-Pleasure Vessels: Assessment Guide (vessels whose construction started prior to April 1, 2005)
- TP 1332 - Construction Standards for Small Vessels - Section 5 (vessels whose construction started on or after April 1, 2005)
- Using the ISO Small Craft Stability Standard ISO 12217-1
Other Important Information
- Small Passenger Vessel Decal Program
- Reporting Marine Occurrence
- Templates for Small Commercial Vessel Procedures and Records
- Date modified: