Participating in the Small Vessel Compliance Program for commercial vessels under 15 gross tonnage
From Transport Canada
The Small Vessel Compliance Program (SVCP) is an option available to owners of small commercial vessels. This Transport Canada program helps vessel owners and operators understand and meet their legal obligations.
Please note that the new Fishing Vessel Safety Regulations that amends the Small Fishing vessel inspection Regulations will come into force in the summer of 2017. Consequently, Transport Canada is developing a new version of the Small Vessel Compliance Program that will include small fishing vessels. The new online enrollment system will be accessible through Transport Canada' Small Vessel Compliance Program website.
Find out more about Small Fishing Vessel Safety
On this page …
- What is the Small Vessel Compliance Program?
- Which vessels are eligible for the SVCP?
- How do I enroll a vessel in the SVCP?
- Where can I find more information about the SVCP?
What is the Small Vessel Compliance Program?
If you own or operate a small vessel in Canada, there are safety and environmental requirements in the Canada Shipping Act, 2001 and the Small Vessel Regulations that apply to you. The Small Vessel Compliance Program is not mandatory, but meeting these requirements is. The SVCP Enrolment Form (Detailed Compliance Report) is an easy-to-follow checklist that helps you operate legally and protect the environment.
Participants in the SVCP receive a blue decal to display on their vessel.
Which vessels are eligible for the SVCP?
The Small Vessel Compliance Program is available to all commercial vessels (non-pleasure craft) that:
- measure between 0 and 15 gross tonnage
- carry between 0 and 12 passengers
- are not fishing vessels
- are not human-powered vessels
Government vessels and vessels used in the operation of Recreational Boating Schools are eligible for the Small Vessel Compliance Program.
To determine whether your vessel is a commercial vessel, review the criteria about Non-pleasure vessel or pleasure craft.
How do I enroll a vessel in the SVCP?
Follow these steps to enroll your vessel in the Small Vessel Compliance Program.
- Step 1 – Fill out the SVCP form — online or from your local Transport Canada Marine Safety office.
- Step 2 – Submit your form and documents.
- Step 3 – After you receive your blue decal, display it in a visible position on your vessel.
Maintaining enrolment in the SVCP
The blue decal is valid for five years. At the end of the five-year period, you must re-enroll in the SVCP.
Vessel owners must also complete an Annual Compliance Report.
Where can I find more information about the SVCP?
To learn more about the SVCP, please contact:
- Your regional Marine Safety office
- Phone: 613-991-3135
- Toll Free: 1-855-859-3123
- TTY/TDD: 1-888-675-6863
- Marine Safety direct email: email@example.com
Or see our Frequently Asked Questions to learn more.
- Date modified: