Extreme caution should be used while refuelling, because gasoline vapours are highly explosive. Use the following steps to refuel safely.
- Moor vessel securely. Make sure an extinguisher designed for oil fires is handy.
- Shut off engine. Anyone not involved with fuelling should leave the vessel.
- Extinguish all cigarettes, stoves, heaters, or any other open flame. Turn off exposed lights.
- Close hatches, doors and ports. Take portable tanks ashore.
- Don’t use electrical switches.
- Ground the fuel nozzle against the filler pipe. Do not overfill the tank.
- Wipe up any spills. Turn on the blower for at least five minutes, and ventilate cabins and enclosed spaces.
- Check for vapour odours with a "sniffer" device and by smell.
- Start engines, and allow crew to reboard.
- Keep a fire extinguisher handy.
- Date modified: