Equipment and Installations
A safe vessel is a well maintained vessel – all equipment must be installed correctly, and kept in good condition. Some key areas where hazards might develop are outlined below.
Bilge Installation and Maintenance
- Keep bilges clean, pipes clear.
- Keep bilge pump in good working order.
- Keep bilges free from oil and fuel.
- Keep the bulkhead tight to prevent flooding.
- Use steel, bronze or similar piping, with flanged or screwed joints. Plastic pipe is only considered suitable in specific areas. Consult your local Marine Safety District Office for details.
- A short length of plastic or rubber hose may be used if necessary to reduce vibration. If used, it must be clearly visible, strong enough to withstand suction, and joined with suitable clamps.
- Fit drip pans under fuel pumps or fittings where there is a possibility of fuel leakage into bilges or similar areas, which may be an explosion hazard.
- Check hull fittings to stop flooding.
- Date modified: