As an Employer ...Are You Ensuring the Health and Safety of Your Employees Working Onboard Ships? - TP 14230 E (2005)
Marine Occupational Health And Safety
As an employer…
Are you ensuring the Health and Safety of your employees working on board ships?
Are you emplementing preventive measures within your work place?
The priority approach to taking preventive measures is first and foremost the elimination of the hazaard. If this is not possible, reduce the hazard and, when required, provide personal protective equipment, clothing, devices or material, with the goal of ensuring the health and safety of employees.
If you answer “yes” to the following questions, you are a proactive employer; you are taking preventive measures.
Ensure that each employee is made aware of every known or foreseeable health or safety hazard in the area where the employee works?
Providing training to employees in:
- First aid;
- Preparation, handling, storage and serving of food;
- Work place safety;
- Hazardous substances;
- Manual lifting of materials;
- Materials handling equipment;
- Use of protection equipment?
Providing occupational health and safety training to:
- Supervisors and managers;
- Members of the policy and work place committees and health and safety representatives?
Investigate, record and report all accidents, occupational diseases and other hazardous occurrences?
An employer who ensures that the work place committee or health and safety representative conducts monthly inspections of all or part of the work place so that the entire work place is inspected at least once a year?
Keep and maintain accurate health and safety records?
To find out more about:
- The Canada Labour Code, Part II,
- The Marine Occupational Health and Safety Regulations.
View the Marine Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) website at: http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/mosh/menu.htm
Or contact your nearest regional Transport Canada – Marine Health and Safety Officer at:
- Pacific Region: (604) 666-5300
- Prairie and Northern Region: (204) 983-7498
- Ontario Region: (519) 383-1826
- Quebec Region: (418) 648-4618
- Atlantic Region: (902) 426-9321
- Marine OH&S Ottawa: (613) 991-3120
- Date modified: