Amendments to the Canadian Aviation Security Regulations, 2012 (Airport Security Programs)
Following extensive consultations, Transport Canada divided the development and implementation of Airport Security Programs into two phases:
- Foundational elements (Phase 1), which were published in the Canada Gazette, Part IIon January 1, 2012; and
- More complex security management elements, published in the Canada Gazette, Part II on July 2, 2014 (Phase 2).
Phase 2 amendments to the Canadian Aviation Security Regulations, 2012 complete the introduction of aviation security programs for Canada’s airports designated for security screening.These amendments enhance the aviation security framework for airport operators and update the regulations and harmonize Canada’s requirements with international partners. They were developed in a manner that is intended to facilitate compliance.
Phase 2 amendments introduce the following core security program elements for all 89 airports designated for security screening:
- Menu of additional safeguards to be developed by airport operators, to be approved by the Minister, articulating actions that would be implemented immediately in response to heightened risk conditions;
- Training requirements for security personnel that further align with international recommended practices; and
- Enhanced emergency plans and security exercise requirements to further build readiness and capacity.
Phase 2 amendments require Class 1 airports (Canada’s major airports, such as Toronto or Vancouver) have the following additional elements in their security program:
- Airport security risk assessments to identify and prioritize risks;
- Strategic airport security plans detailing how identified risks will be managed; and
- Implementation of multi-agency advisory committees to facilitate the sharing of aviation security information.
Unless ordered to do so by the Minister, Class 2 and Class 3 (such as London, ON or Red Deer, AB) aerodrome operators are not required to establish these additional elements.
July 2, 2014
News Release - Amendments to the Canadian Aviation Security Regulations, 2012 for airport security programs and non-passenger screening.
Backgrounder - Amendment to the Canadian Aviation Security Regulations, 2012 (Non-Passenger Screening)
- Date modified: