Defect Investigations and Recalls


What's new

Stay Informed!

Unrepaired safety defects can put you, your passengers and other road users at risk. That is why you should:

  • Check the Motor Vehicle Safety Recalls Database to see if your vehicle, child car seat or tires could be subject to a recall.
  • Visit your auto manufacturer's website to see if you can check the recall status of your vehicle using its 17-digit vehicle identification number (VIN).
  • Register your child car seats with the manufacturer to receive recall information directly.
  • Register your tires with the manufacturer to receive recall information directly.

Questions? Call your manufacturer's 1-800 number, and ask to speak with the Customer Service Department.

Report a problem!

If you believe a safety-related defect may be affecting your vehicle, tires or child car seat, report the problem to Transport Canada's Defect Investigations and Recalls Division.

  • Fill in our on-line Defect Complaint Form
  • Call:
    • 1-800-333-0510 (toll-free in Canada)
    • 819-994-3328 (in the Gatineau-Ottawa area or internationally)
      • Notes:
        • Our telephone service is available Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Eastern Standard or Daylight Time. After hours, please leave a message and we will return your call the next business day.
        • Call these numbers to request information about a recall or an investigation

We will document your complaint and we will launch an investigation, if warranted. We also document recall campaigns, update the on-line recalls database, and monitor recall completion rates.

Safety-related defects:

  • Originate at the design, manufacturing or assembly stage,
  • Interfere with the safe functioning of the vehicle, tire or child car seat.
  • Be present in a group of similar vehicles, tires or child car seats
  • Directly endanger the safety of a person, which includes drivers, passengers, occupants of other vehicles, pedestrians, cyclists and other road users.
  • Cause a problem that occurs with little or no warning and not be due to everyday wear and tear, a lack of proper maintenance, or negligence on the part of the owner.

Safety Advisories

More Contacts

  • To find information on vehicle fuel consumption, visit the Office of Energy Efficiency website.
  • To make a fuel consumption-related complaint, write to Natural Resources Canada or call 1-800-387-2000.
  • To learn about aspects of vehicle emissions that are regulated by the federal government, consult the website of the Transportation Division of Environment Canada.
  • To make an emissions-related complaint, please write to Environment Canada or call 1-800-668-6767.

Transport Canada service standards 

Date modified: