Prior to importing a vehicle purchased abroad or returning with a vehicle modified outside Canada, you must determine whether or not the vehicle qualifies for importation or re-entry into Canada. There are established import requirements with regards to safety standards and customs procedures that must be followed. This section hosts important information you need to know.
Please note: vehicles that have been modified from their original state other than general repair or routine maintenance may not be eligible for importation into Canada. This also applies to Canadian owned vehicles modified outside Canada.
- Importing vehicles purchased in the United States
- Importing vehicles purchased in countries OTHER than the United States
- Importing vehicles “case-by-case”
- Pre-clearance Programs – Appendix-F and Appendix-G
- Importing non-regulated vehicles
- Importing older vehicles
- Utility-Terrain Vehicles – Are They Regulated at Importation?
- Importing Kit Cars and Car Kits
- Importing Pocket Bike Type Competition Vehicles
- Visitors, Tourists and Temporary Residents Entering Canada with Foreign Owned Vehicles
- Canadian Residents Entering Canada with U.S. Rental Vehicles
- For information on exporting a vehicle to the United States, please consult the Vehicle Importation Regulations of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
- 1-800-333-0371 (toll-free Canada and United States)
- 1-613-998-8616 (Ottawa region and from other countries)
- Date modified: