Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between Transport Canada and the Railway Association of Canada for Reducing Locomotive Emissions
On April 30, 2013, Transport Canada and the Railway Association of Canada signed a new MOU that provides a framework for addressing emissions in the Canadian rail sector covering the 2011 to 2015 period.
- News Release: Canadian rail sector to further reduce locomotive emissions under renewed agreement
- 2011-2015 MOU between Transport Canada and the Railway Association of Canada for Reducing Locomotive Emissions
- Locomotive Emissions Monitoring Program Reports
Developing Locomotive Emissions Regulations in Canada
Transport Canada is developing new regulations to reduce locomotive emissions under the Railway Safety Act. Part of this process includes consulting with the rail industry and environmental groups, provincial and territorial authorities, the Canadian public and other interested parties.
The steps are to:
Invite stakeholders and the public to share their views.
- Allow stakeholders and the public 75 days to submit their views.
- Review and consider these views.
- Draft the regulations.
- Publish the proposed regulations and regulatory impact analysis statement in the Canada Gazette, Part I.
Allow stakeholders and the public 90 days to provide formal feedback.
Pre-publication of Draft Regulations – Formal Notice and Comment Period
- Make regulations final.
Publish them in the Canada Gazette, Part II.
Publication of Final Regulations
- Date modified: