Appendix B – Limited Use Warning Systems and Signs
- Printable Version
- Table of Contents
- Part A – Introduction
- Part B – Existing Grade Crossings
- Part C – New Standards
- Part D – Design Calculations
- Part E – Warning System Design
- Part F – Interconnected Devices
- Appendix A – Light Emitting Diode (LED) Signal Modules
- Appendix B – Limited Use Warning Systems
- Appendix C – Limited Use Warning Systems with Walk Light
- Appendix D – Whistling Cessation
1. Operating Requirements
1.1 Battery backup for a minimum of 24 hours of normal railway operations must be provided.
1.2 Power monitor lights must be provided.
2. Warning System Requirements
2.1 Limited Use Warning System must meet the specifications of articles 12 to 16 of the Grade Crossings Standards (GCS) except:
- it does not require a gate.
- height of the light unit may be different than that stated in the AREMA Communications and Signals Manual (cited in Part A) or the GCS (cited in Part A) as to improve conspicuity:
- Signal mast may be located closer to the road approach than that stated in the AREMA Communications and Signals Manual (cited in Part A) or the GCS (cited in Part A) improve conspicuity.
- A bell is not required; and
- Front and back lights must be provided on each warning signal assembly.
3. Signage Requirements
3.1 An Emergency Notification sign must be installed at each location.
3.2 A sign indicating that the road is private must be posted near the entrance to the private road.
- Date modified: