Enforcement Action and Measures to Mitigate Threats to Rail Safety
Every person who contravenes a provision under Ss.41 (1) or 41(2) of the RSA may be prosecuted and be imposed a fine as prescribed by the Act.
Actions to Mitigate Threats to Rail Safety and Verify Compliance with the RSA
In addition to enforcement options for offences committed under the RSA, the Act also provides measures to mitigate immediate threats to safety and to verify compliance, such as:
- Notices and Orders Pursuant to Section 31
- Emergency Directives Pursuant to Section 33
- Ministerial Orders Pursuant to Section 19
- Ministerial Order Pursuant to Section 32.01
- Railway Operating Certificates
Orders to Correct Safety Management System Deficiencies
The Railway Safety Act also allows the Minister of Transport, or delegated authority, to order a railway company to take corrective action when their safety management system is found to have deficiencies that risk compromising railway safety.
Transportation Appeals Tribunal of Canada (TATC) Reviews
Pursuant to S.31.1(1) or S.32.1(1) of the RSA, any railway company/person who is issued a Notice and Order has a 30-day period to request a review by the TATC.
Requests for review under the RSA
- Rail Safety Policy Regarding the Publication of Corporate Offences and S.31 Notices and Orders Pursuant to the Railway Safety Act
- Rail Safety Policy Regarding the Publication of Non-Corporate (Individuals) Offences and S.31 Notices and Orders Pursuant to the Railway Safety Act
- Date modified: