The safety of children travelling in vehicles is very important to Transport Canada. Child car seats (also called child restraints) make road travel safer for your child. They keep your child in place, so that in a sudden stop or crash, your child has increased protection. This will reduce the chances of serious injury or even death.
To assist in protecting children in vehicles, Transport Canada:
- develops and enforces regulations for the manufacturing and importation of child car seats,
- raises awareness and shares information on the selection and appropriate use of child seats,
- investigates public complaints related to child seats, and
- conducts research to identify risk areas that can be addressed through enhancements to education or regulation.
Proper installation and use of child restraints is important. Please consult your manual and follow guidelines for weight and size.
In this site you can learn more about:
- Car Seats, Seat Belts and Your Child
- Transport Canada's Child Restraint Programs and Services
- Child Car Seats: Roles and Responsibilities
- Child Restraint and Booster Cushion Notices
- School Bus Safety
- Related Links
- How to Contact Us
- 1-800-333-0371 (long distance, Canada)
- 1-613-998-8616 (Ottawa region and from other countries)
- Date modified: