Apply for CTS-RD funding
The Clean Transportation System – Research and Development (CTS-RD) Program is now closed.
The Clean Transportation System – Research and Development (CTS-RD) Program funds projects that help reduce air pollutants and greenhouse gas emissions in the aviation, marine and rail sectors. We will contribute up to $1,500,000 in program funding over the next 3 years.
To be eligible, you must show that you meet certain requirements. For example:
- Your project is part of an existing program that addresses air pollutants and/or greenhouse gas emissions
- You have the knowledge and capacity to complete the project
- You will share your results
Eligible recipients may include:
- Provinces, territories and municipalities
- Indigenous groups
- Public sector organizations
- Not-for-profit and for-profit organizations
Recipients will receive up to 50% of total eligible costs for their project.
For more information, refer to the applicant’s guide.
Conditions of funding
- You may receive up to $100,000 per project
- You must prove that you have up-front funding
- All projects must be completed by March 31, 2022
- Projects may begin incurring eligible costs only once TC approves and confirms this in writing
- Research and knowledge-sharing related to:
- developing, evaluating or testing technologies that reduce or measure emissions
- measuring emissions
- understanding emissions and their impacts
- Developing, testing, demonstrating, deploying and/or installing clean technologies
- Supporting research, knowledge-sharing activities and solutions
- Staff salaries and benefits
- Professional fees
- Translation costs
- Costs of preparing, constructing, installing or rehabilitating assets
- Purchase or lease of assets, technology, equipment and supplies
- Travel and administrative costs
For a complete list of eligible expenses, refer to the applicant’s guide.
What you need to know before you start
Read the applicant’s guide in full to help you prepare your funding application.
How to apply
- Contact Transport Canada by email to request the templates you will need to apply: email@example.com.
- Read and follow the applicant’s guide to help you complete the project proposal template.
- Provide legal documentation confirming your organization is a legal entity.
- Ensure your application is signed, accurate and complete.
- Submit your application by email or mail. We will confirm receipt of all application packages.
All electronic applications must be in MS Word, MS Excel or PDF format and must include original signatures.
Clean Transportation System (R&D)
Transfer Payments Program
330 Sparks Street, Place de Ville – Tower C (AHSB)
Ottawa, ON K1A 0N5