Rail Safety Improvement Program
We are accepting applications for infrastructure, technology and research (ITR) projects for 2021-2022 funding. The deadline for applications is August 1, 2020 at 11:59pm (PDT).
The Rail Safety Improvement Program (RSIP) provides grant and contribution funding to improve rail safety and reduce injuries and fatalities related to rail transportation. The program funds:
- safety improvements to existing rail lines
- closures of grade crossings
- research to develop new technologies that enhance rail safety
- initiatives to raise awareness about rail safety issues across Canada
The program has two key components.
- The infrastructure, technology and research (ITR) component funds projects that:
Support measures to improve public safety at rail property and rail lines (both federally and provincially regulated)
Support research as well as testing and development of technologies that can enhance the safety of rail lines (both federally and provincially regulated)
- The public education and awareness (E&A) component funds public education projects aimed at reducing railway-grade crossing collisions and trespassing incidents on railway property, particularly in high-risk areas.
This program builds on Transport Canada’s Grade Crossing Improvement, Grade Crossing Closure and Operation Lifesaver Programs.
If you have any questions about this program, contact us by email or mail.
ATTN: Director, Transportation Infrastructure Program (AHSE)
C/o Program Officer
Place de Ville, Tower C, 19th Floor
330 Sparks Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N5