Safety recalls for vehicles, tires and child car seats
A manufacturer issues a recall notice when they find a safety problem in a vehicle, tire or child car seat.
On this page
- Where can I find out about recalls
- What is a safety recall
- Contact the Defect Investigations and Recalls Division
Where can I find out about recalls
To find out about recalls affecting your vehicle, tires or child car seat:
- Use the Motor Vehicle Safety Recalls Database or subscribe to the Motor Vehicle Safety Recalls web feed
- Download the Recalls and Safety Alerts mobile application
- Register with manufacturers to receive recall notices directly
- Search the auto manufacturer's website using your vehicle’s 17-digit vehicle identification number (VIN)
- See Takata recalls in Canada to find specific information on the Takata airbag recall
- Check if a vehicle to import is being recalled Registrar of Imported Vehicles
What is a safety recall
When a manufacturer finds a safety-related defect in a vehicle, tire or child car seat, or when a product does not comply with the safety standards, the manufacturer must issue a Notice of Defect or Notice of Non-Compliance.
The safety recall notice from the manufacturer includes:
- a description of the issue and the safety risk
- steps you have to follow to fix the problem
You are responsible for making sure that all recall repairs are done on your vehicle, tires or child car seat. If you do not repair a safety recall, it puts you, your passengers and other road users at risk. Usually, the manufacturer will make these repairs free of charge.
Contact the Defect Investigations and Recalls Division
If you think your vehicle, tires or child car seat are subject to a recall and you need more information, contact us:
1-800-333-0510 (toll-free in Canada)
819-420-4300 (Gatineau-Ottawa area or internationally)
Our telephone service is available Monday-Friday, 8:30-a.m.-4:30 p.m. Eastern Standard or Daylight Saving Time. Outside hours of service, you can leave a message and we will return your call the next business day.
- Section 10 of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act
- Section 15 of the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations
- Section 13 of the Motor Vehicle Tire Safety Regulations
- Section 110 of the Motor Vehicle Restraint Systems and Booster Seat Safety Regulations
- Guidelines on Enforcement and Compliance Policy (Motor Vehicle Safety Oversight Program)
- Open Government Portal (access data from the Recalls Database)
- Service Standards - Defect Investigations and Recalls Division (Transport Canada)