Let’s Talk Marine Fuel in the Arctic
Current status: Closed
Open on June 14, 2019 and closed on June 28, 2019.
We are looking for your input on how Canada can reduce environmental risks associated with marine fuel spills in the Arctic, and whether a ban on the use of heavy fuel oil (HFO) is the best way to do this.
Join in: how to participate
Share your ideas
Who is the focus of this consultation?
All Canadians are invited to participate in the online consultations. Those with a particular interest may include:
- Indigenous groups
- Marine industry stakeholders
- Provincial and territorial governments
- Northern residents in Canada
Key questions for discussion
- How can Canada further reduce environmental risks associated with marine fuel spills in the Arctic, while balancing economic and social considerations?
- Is banning HFO use as a marine fuel the best option to reduce these risks, and if so why?
- Would there be any other issues with ships replacing HFO with other fuel types in the Arctic, either from an environmental, economic or social point of view?
Tower C, Place de Ville
330 Sparks Street, 28th Floor
Telephone: 1-855-859-3123 or 613-991-3135
Teletypewriter / TDD: 1-888-675-6863