Flight crew licences, permits and ratings
From Transport Canada
All flight crew members must hold a permit or licence issued by Transport Canada. Applicants complete a form and submit it along with documentation and a fee.
Personal information we collect during the application process is protected under the Privacy Act.
Before applying, prepare to show that you have passed examination(s) and met medical fitness standards. Specific requirements for flight crew licences and permits are listed in Standard 421 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) – Flight Crew Permits, Licences and Ratings.
On this page
- How to submit an application
- Permit application forms
- Licence application forms
- Related application forms
- Related links
How to submit an application
To submit an application for a flight crew permit, licence or rating:
The forms listed on this page are available as a PDF or, in some cases, by print order only. If the form you require is not accessible to you, contact us.
Fill out the correct form in blue or black ink only. Review and sign it.
Attach the required documents.
Submit the form and documents to your nearest Transport Canada regional office.
Pay your application fee. We will not process your application until we receive this fee. Use our new Online Payment System – this is the fastest way to pay.
You may also submit payment (cheque, Visa, Mastercard or American Express) to a Civil Aviation regional office.
If you do not already hold an Aviation Document Booklet, you should include the Aviation Document Booklet Application form with your permit or licence application. Learn more about Applying for an aviation document booklet.
Permit application forms
- Application for a Gyroplane Pilot Permit [1.1 MB]
- Application for an Ultra-light Pilot Permit – Aeroplane [1.1 MB]
- Application for a Recreational Pilot Permit – Aeroplane [1.1 MB]
Licence application forms
- Application for a Glider Pilot Licence [1.1 MB]
- Application for a Balloon Pilot Licence [1.1 MB]
- Application for a Private Pilot Licence – Aeroplane [1.1 MB]
- Application for a Private Pilot Licence – Helicopter [1.1 MB]
- Application for Commercial Pilot Licence – Aeroplane [1.1 MB]
- Application for Commercial Pilot Licence – Helicopter
- Application for an Airline Transport Pilot Licence – Aeroplane
- Application for an Airline Transport Pilot Licence – Helicopter [1.1 MB]
- Application for a Flight Engineer Licence
Related application forms
Haven't found what you were looking for? These forms are also for parts of the permit and licensing process, including endorsements of a rating, address changes and licence re-issuing.
- Flight Crew Permit / Licence – Application for Endorsement of a Rating [178 KB]
- Aviation Document Booklet Application [752 KB]
- Flight Crew Licensing Change of Address Request [631 KB]
- Conversion of an FAA Certificate Using the Implementation Procedures for Licensing Application Guidelines [1.2 MB]
- Flight Crew Licensing Declaration of Name Change
- Application for a Foreign Licence Validation Certificate [1.0 MB]
- Medical Declaration for Licenses and Permits Requiring a Category 4 Medical Standard [539 KB]
- Application for Re-issue of a Civil Aviation Licensing Document [1.1 MB]
Do you want to keep better informed about aviation safety? Sign up to receive the Aviation Safety Letter e-Bulletin, a quarterly publication delivered straight to your inbox.