Communication errors are leading contributors to losses of separation and runway incursions
You can help to prevent them!
- Always use proper phraseology.
- Give full readbacks, including your call sign.
Reduce multi-tasking while communicating:
- Pilots-have both crew members listen to clearances whenever possible;
- Air traffic services-actively listen to readbacks.
- If in doubt-ask! Do not clarify ambiguity within the cockpit and do not use a readback as confirmation.
- If you think a transmission has been blocked, say something.
- Be vigilant for similar call signs on the frequency.
- Do not accept poor communication practices from others-insist on proper phraseology.
Air Traffic Services–Pilot Communications Working Group