Current Selection Processes
We know that our country is stronger and our government and business more effective when decision-makers reflect Canada's diversity. Moving forward, the Government of Canada will use an appointment process that is transparent and merit-based, strives for gender parity, and ensures that Indigenous Canadians and minority groups are properly represented in positions of leadership. We will continue to search for Canadians who reflect the values that we all embrace: inclusion, honesty, fiscal prudence, and generosity of spirit. Together, we will build a government and business sector as diverse as Canada.
The overarching goal for the Minister of Transport is to ensure that Canada's transportation system supports our ambitious economic growth and job creation agenda.
The Minister of Transport is currently seeking applications from experienced, diverse and talented Canadians from across the country who are interested in the following position:
Member (federal nominee: part-time position), Prince George Airport Authority Inc.
The Prince George Prince Authority Inc. (PGAA) is a not-for-profit organization with a mandate to manage, operate and develop the Prince George Airport (YXS) in a safe, secure, efficient, cost effective and financially viable manner with reasonable airport user charges and equitable access to all air carriers; to undertake and promote the development of the airport lands for which it is responsible for uses compatible with air transportation activities; and to expand transportation facilities and generate economic activity in ways that are compatible with air transportation activities.
The primary responsibility of the Board of Directors (Board) is to foster the long-term success of the PGAA consistent with the Board’s responsibilities to the communities it serves. The Board also has the responsibility to oversee the conduct of the business of the Authority and to direct and oversee management which is responsible for the day-to-day conduct of business. In performing its functions, the Board also considers the legitimate interests with other stakeholders.
Further details about the PGAA and its activities can be found on its website.
Per diem: $400
Annual retainer: $4,500
Position location: Prince George, British Columbia
How to apply
Candidates must apply online by submitting a cover letter and CV to TC.PolicyGroupAppointments-GroupedespolitiquesNominations.TC@tc.gc.ca.
The Review of applications began on February 20, 2020. After this date, your application will be retained and may be considered up until an appointment to the position is made.
Official languages and diversity
The Government of Canada will consider bilingual proficiency and diversity in assessing applicants. You are therefore encouraged to include in your cover letter, your ability to speak and understand your second official language. Preference may be given to applicants who are members of one or more of the following groups: women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and members of a visible minority group.
To be considered, please ensure that the information provided in your curriculum vitae and cover letter clearly demonstrates how you meet the following requirements:
Education and experience
- Graduation with a degree from a recognized university or acceptable combination of equivalent education, training and job related experience;
- Experience serving as a member of a board of directors for a public or private sector organization or an executive answerable to stakeholders in the public or private sector;
- Experience in implementing modern corporate governance principles and best practices in a culture of accountability and transparency;
- Experience in developing and maintaining effective working relationships with business partners and other key stakeholders;
- Management experience at the senior executive level, including managing human and financial resources; and
- Preference may be given to a human resource professional, with both education and significant experience in human resource field.
If you are selected for an interview, the following criteria will be assessed:
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Knowledge of the mandate and business activities of the PGAA and a good understanding of the legislative environment in which it operates;
- Knowledge of corporate governance and best practices;
- Knowledge of human resources management;
- Financial literacy;
- Knowledge in one or more of the following areas may be required:
- Board Governance
- International trade, transportation logistics, and air cargo
- Economic Development
- Property management and strategic planning; and
- Information technology and cyber security
- Ability to anticipate emerging issues and lead organizational change;
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with other board members, the PGAA’s business partners and stakeholders; and
- Superior communication skills, both written and oral, including the ablility to develop and maintain effective relationships with stakeholders.
Proficiency in both official languages would be preferred.
If you move on the next stage of the selection process, we will contact your references to confirm that you meet the above selection criteria and that you possess the following Personal Attributes:
- Sound judgment
- High ethical standards and integrity
- Superior leadership and interpersonal skills
- Tact and diplomacy
- Strategic thinker
Eligibility factors and conditions of appointment
In your application, please confirm that you do not contravene any of the following eligibility requirements:
The following persons may not be director of the Prince George Airport Authority:
- Anyone who is less than 18 years of age;
- An individual who is not a Canadian citizen;
- Any corporation, firm or any other entity;
- An individual who has the legal status of bankrupt or is insolvent;
- An individual who is found by court to be mentally incompetent or of unsound mind or otherwise incapable;
- A person who has been convicted of a criminal offence, for which he/she has not received a pardon;
- An individual who is employed by, or who provides services on a full-time basis under contract to, any federal, provincial or municipal government, department or agency, or any corporation owned by Her Majesty the Queen in Right of Canada or Her Majesty the Queen in Right of any Province of Canada; and
- A person holding federal, provincial or municipal elected office.
- Every Member shall uphold the objectives of the Authority and comply with its by-laws. Every Member shall, at the time of appointment, sign an acknowledgement that the member has read and is bound by the Authority's conflict of interest guidelines.
- You must be willing to participate in a schedule of Board of Directors meetings as stipulated by the PGAA, as well as any requirements for participation in sub-committees, annual general meetings, or other such duties as may be required.
- There are approximately twelve (12) Board/Committee meetings in a year.
- You must comply with the Public Accountability Principles for Canadian Airport Authorities, possess qualifications set in the relevant corporate legislation, and relevant Airport Authority by-laws and any other relevant roles and responsibilities for the position as set out in other documents.
This notice will assist in identifying qualified candidates for this position. It is not, however, intended to be the sole means of recruitment.
A roster of qualified candidates may be established and may be used for similar opportunities.