More information on IMO
- Service Standards for Marine Safety's Fees
- Marine Training, Examination and Certification - Home Page
- Main Menu
- Seafarers' Registry, Contributions and Marine Emergency Duties (MED) Divestiture Programs
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Medical Exams
- Related Marine Safety Documentation
- Ship Safety Bulletins
- Partners and Related Links
Canada a leading cooperator with IMO
Who is IMO and what is their mandate?
IMO - means International Maritime Organization their purpose is resumed as such:
Quote from the About Us section at the IMO web site:
The purposes of the Organization, as summarized by Article 1(a) of the Convention, are "to provide machinery for cooperation among Governments in the field of governmental regulation and practices relating to technical matters of all kinds affecting shipping engaged in international trade; to encourage and facilitate the general adoption of the highest practicable standards in matters concerning maritime safety, efficiency of navigation and prevention and control of marine pollution from ships".
Visit the IMO.org web site and read more on the progress of the International Convention on Standards of Training Certification and Watchkeeping (STCW).