3. Crossing Surface
- Printable Version
- Table of Contents
- Part A – Introduction
- Part B – Existing Grade Crossings
- Part C – New Standards
- Part D – Design Calculations
- Part E – Warning System Design
- Part F – Interconnected Devices
- Appendix A – Light Emitting Diode (LED) Signal Modules
- Appendix B – Limited Use Warning Systems
- Appendix C – Limited Use Warning Systems with Walk Light
- Appendix D – Whistling Cessation
3.1 The crossing surface must be of a width that is equal to the width of the travelled way and shoulders of the road, plus 0.5 m on each side, measured at right angles to the centreline of the road, as shown in Figure 3-1 (a) or (b), as the case may be.
3.2 A flangeway must be provided between the gauge side of the rail and the road surface and must be between 65 mm and 120 mm wide, and between 50 mm and 75 mm deep.
Figure 3-1 – Crossing Surface