- Back to the Containers home page
- Aerosol Containers and Gas Cartridges
- Cylinders, Spheres and Tubes
- UN cylinders, UN tubes, UN cryogenic receptacles, and multiple-element gas containers
- Tank Trucks and Trailers and TC Portable Tanks
- Containers for Infectious substances
- Railway Tank Cars and Ton Containers
- UN Small Means of Containment
- UN Portable Tanks
- Containers for Explosives (Class 1)
Currently in force:
TP 14877, December 2013
Amendments in force
Corrigendum, June 2015
CAN/CGSB-43.147-2005 as amended in July 2008
Upcoming edition / amendment:
TP 14877, January 2018
Please note that the current 2013 version of the standard is still in force until the 2018 standard is referenced in the regulations.
The TP 14877 standard sets out the requirements for the handling, offering for transport, and transporting of dangerous goods by rail in Canada. It includes:
- requirements for the construction and modification of tank cars and ton containers;
- requirements for the qualification and maintenance of tank cars and ton containers;
- requirements for the selection, use, and handling of ton containers, TC portable tanks, tank cars, hopper cars, and other large containers or transport units used in the handling, offering for transport, or transporting of Class 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.1, 8 and 9 dangerous goods by rail; and
- requirements for the movement of non-compliant containers.
Section 5.10 of the TDG Regulations specifies that a means of containment manufactured, selected and used in accordance with TP 14877 is a permitted means of containment for the transport of Class 2 dangerous goods by railway vehicle, by road or by ship.
Section 5.14 of the TDG Regulations specifies that a means of containment manufactured, selected and used in accordance with TP 14877 is a permitted means of containment for the transport of Class 3, 4, 5, 6.1, 8 or 9 by railway vehicle, by road or by ship.
Tank car facilities are required to be registered by Transport Canada. Search our database for registered tank car facilities.
A copy of TP 14877, December 2013 can be obtained from Transport Canada.
A copy of TP 14877, January 2018 can be obtained from.
For more information on matters pertaining to TP 14877:
Inquiries pertaining to applications for registration:
Please include the text "Railway Tank Car" in the subject line.