Safety Awareness Kit for Communities/Municipalities
Each year, more and more dangerous goods are moved across Canada by road, rail, water and air. These shipments range from industrial chemicals to manufactured goods and, while indispensable to our modern way of life, they can pose a threat to public safety if not handled safely.
Communities/Municipalities have expressed concerns and requested information on the nature and volume of dangerous goods being transported within their jurisdictions in order to better prepare their emergency plans should an incident involving dangerous goods occur.
In order to respond to these concerns, Transport Canada’s Transportation of Dangerous Goods Directorate has put together a kit containing safety awareness material that will assist municipal administrators as well as emergency planners. In this kit, you will find a Dangerous Goods Safety Marks handout, which will help recognize the presence of dangerous goods being transported within your city limits as well as at incident sites. We have included a link to the TDG Newsletter, which provides valuable information on dangerous goods, and a summary of Protective Direction no. 36, which relates to the information sharing between communities/municipalities and rail companies. Other awareness documents related to Emergency Preparedness and the Incident Command System are also included.
If you are interested in a presentation on the TDG program (Emergency Response Assistance Plan, Emergency Response Guidebook, CANUTEC, and tools and services we can provide), please don’t hesitate to contact us at: mailto:TC.TDGSafetyAwareness-SensibilisationalasecuriteduTMD.TC@tc.gc.ca.
This Safety Awareness Kit includes:
- Emergency Preparedness and Response (To receive a copy of this presentation, please send your request by email to TC.TDGSafetyAwareness-SensibilisationalasecuriteduTMD.TC@tc.gc.ca)
- Incident Command System (To receive a copy of this presentation, please send your request by email to TC.TDGSafetyAwareness-SensibilisationalasecuriteduTMD.TC@tc.gc.ca)
- Emergency Response Assistance Plan (ERAP) Program (To receive a copy of this presentation, please send you request by email to TC.TDGSafetyAwareness-SensibilisationalasecuriteduTMD.TC@tc.gc.ca)
Guides and advisories
- You’re not alone! - Emergency response planning for rail incidents involving flammable liquids
- Proximity Issues
- Overview of Protective Direction No. 36
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods - A Primer Handout
- Dangerous Goods Safety Marks Handout
- Roles and Responsibilities of Remedial Measures Specialists and TDG Inspectors Handout
- Shipping and importing devices containing lithium batteries
- CANUTEC - Canadian Transport Emergency Centre