Safety Awareness Kit for Industry
Each year, more and more dangerous goods are moved across Canada by road, rail, water and air. These shipments range from industrial chemicals to manufactured goods and, while indispensable to our modern way of life, they can pose a threat to public safety if not handled safely.
Transport Canada’s Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) Directorate is the focal point for Canada’s national program to promote public safety during the transportation of dangerous goods.
In order to promote public safety, the TDG Directorate has enhanced its Safety Awareness Program and is reaching out to targeted audiences such as First Responders, communities/municipalities and the industry. The Safety Awareness Program attends various conferences either as presenters or as exhibitors in order to provide guidance material on the TDG program. TDG has also participated in webinars and conferences for the industry.
The industry community is a very important audience of the Safety Awareness Program since it is handling, offering for transport or transporting the dangerous goods. As such, we have prepared kits, containing safety awareness material that was developed by the TDG Directorate that could be of help. In this kit, you will find handouts, bulletins, safety advisories, and much more. We have also included a link to the TDG Newsletter which provides valuable information on dangerous goods.
If you are interested in a presentation on the TDG program (Emergency Response Assistance Plan, Emergency Response Guidebook, CANUTEC, and tools and services we can provide), please don’t hesitate to contact us at: TC.TDGSafetyAwareness-SensibilisationalasecuriteduTMD.TC@tc.gc.ca.
This Safety Awareness Kit includes:
- Emergency Preparedness and Response (To receive a copy of this presentation, please send your request by email to TC.TDGSafetyAwareness-SensibilisationalasecuriteduTMD.TC@tc.gc.ca)
- Incident Command System (To receive a copy of this presentation, please send your request by email to TC.TDGSafetyAwareness-SensibilisationalasecuriteduTMD.TC@tc.gc.ca)
Guides and advisories
- Guide to find out if you need an emergency response assistance plan
- Guide for Cross-Border Emergency Response
- Competency Guidelines for Responders to Incidents of Flammable Liquids in Transport, High-Hazard Flammable Trains
- Safety Advisory - Fire Risk of Electronic Cigarettes in Checked Baggage on Board an Aircraft
- Safety Advisory - Petroleum Crude Oil and Hydrogen Sulfide Safety Awareness
- Safety Advisory - Petroleum Crude Oil Classification
- Transporting Dangerous Goods Shipments from the United States to Canada by road or rail
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods - A Primer Handout
- Dangerous Goods Safety Marks Handout
- Roles and Responsibilities of Remedial Measures Specialists and TDG Inspectors Handout
- Shipping and importing devices containing lithium batteries
- Required information on a shipping document
- Dangerous Goods Safety Marks on a Small Means of Containment Handout
- Placards Flow Chart Handout
- Basic Competency Checklist for transporting dangerous goods
- Part 8 - Reporting Requirements
- CANUTEC - Canadian Transport Emergency Centre
- TDG Bulletin - Transporting Batteries
- TDG Bulletin - How to use the Regulations
- TDG Bulletin - Classification Scheme
- TDG Bulletin - Ethanol & Gasoline Mixture - Classification and Emergency Response
- TDG Bulletin - Shipping Document
- TDG Bulletin - Consignor’s Certification
- TDG Bulletin - Dangerous Goods Safety Marks
- TDG Bulletin - Means of Containment
- TDG Bulletin - Training
- TDG Bulletin - Shipping Infectious Substances